Mesh HAS to be rigged if it's being worn? (Having issues)

RayRobert

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone, I have been working on a mesh ring and I am having a small issue. When I rez the ring on the floor it looks normal, but when I attatch it, it looks like it's missing faces? This is for a static unrigged mesh. Now when I rig the mesh in blender, and then upload it and wear it, it looks normal. Is there something I am doing wrong? How can I upload the ring as a static mesh , and have it look the same when worn and rezzed in world?

(pics below, not sure how to use the image feature on here so sorry for the multiple posts.)

Sorry, I have no thoughts for just what your problem is, but I can say for sure that mesh does not have to be rigged to be worn.

I make jewelery, and most of the things I make are unrigged.   And they look about the same whether I rez them on the ground, or attach them to my avatar, or look at them in Blender, where I made them.

RayRobert wrote:

Bad_001.png

This is totally just speculation, but it looks to me like you have normals flipped. What could be happening is that when you rig it, the normals get corrected. So, just flip the normals and you should be able to upload it as just a mesh. You probably do not want to rig a ring, I really don't know, because the hand morphs might not work properly with the ring.

Ok, I found the issue, instead of making a new thread hopefully someone can help me. The UV map is what's causing the issue. When the Mesh is rezzed in world it lines up just fine, but when I wear the unrigged mesh, the UV map doesn't line up with the mesh. What am I doing wrong?

Hi :)

I have know idea what can cause the texture on a mesh to map differently when it is rezzed on the ground to when the same mesh is worn but if you are still having this problem and don't mind sharing your .blend file I suggest you upload the .blend file to:  

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/

and then post the URL here so that someone else can have a look at it and maybe come up with an explanation.

Are you using png for the texture or jpg? There is an issue with textures that contain an alpha channel being too close to another texture that uses an alpha channel. I don't know what your skin is using so hard to tell. If I use an object that is textured with a png close to another (say a wall), they fight and one disappears.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.