why cant I log into secondlife? its been almost 1week and I've tried 3 different viewers.

Abra Bellic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Why can't I log into SL ive tried for 1 week and 3 different viwers all with the same message "were having trouble connceting their may be a problem with My internet connection or the SL grid. My internet works just fine as IM able to go and stream youtube and etc. Any clue? I have the fastest cable speed at 26.88mbps download speed and 4.87mbps upload speeds. im not streaming while ive been trying to log in and ive tried to log in at other places as  Furball im connected to my router as well with a wire i even unstalled and restalled th viwers

7 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Abra

Have you tried changing your login start location? If not, do so now please.  Fill in the start location box with Furball or Quarrel or Robinson.  These are just empty waterland sims.

And report back here if you have success or not and another suggestion/set of will follow.

My niggle though is that it is often the case that while a person can stream youtube/videos and play internet games, because there is so much information trying to transfer from the Linden Lab servers, you might be getting timed out in the process.

And if you are trying to log into Second Life while you have a lot of other windows open (especially video streaming), or if you are on a wireless computer, this can also incur problems such as the one you have been experiencing for nearly a week now.

As I say though, try suggestion number one and then report back please.

There's more to a "just fine" Internet connection than having enough bandwidth to watch YouTube videos.  SL demands a stable, reliable connection.  You may have problems with data loss or corruption, especially if you have been using wireless or wifi instead of solid cable connections.  You may also have trouble with DNS servers that your router has been trying to use.  You might try adding other server IP adresses to whatever your ISP provided.  Many people have good luck with the Google DNS servers .  If those don't work for you, or if you'd simply like other options, see here for alternate servers, or grab DNS Bench to help you locate one.

Ok, Abra, as the Second Life grid status shows no problems, and the forums/answers here aren't being swamped with people unable to log in, the problem must be at your end. The official Second Life knowledge base has a lot of information regarding login failures http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Login-failure/ta-p/700109 - but as you gave us the error message of "... there may a problem with the internet connection (or SL grid)" - it really looks likely to be your internet connection. Please reset your router (switch off your modem/router for ten minutes). This will refresh the connection. And please post back the results.

Having a good Internet connection is not the same as having a good connection to SL.

Wireless connections may be OK if you have a newer router/access point. If you can use the 'N' protocol, a wireless connection is OK. Even a 'G' protocol connection can work. But, earlier protocols are likely going to be a problem. On the older ones change over to a wired connection.

To figure out what may be the problem with your connection read through: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.