To test textures on the imported mesh?

LovedWarrior Quan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

Is there anyway to test different textures on my mesh already imported into sl without uploading several textures and paying for them? Say, I made a vase and I want to sell it with different textures so I want to see which of my textures go well on that vase and then upload 5-6 of those.

I mean is there like a viewer or a software that i can open my mesh in sl and test different textures on the mesh and then only upload those textures. I of course test textures in 3ds max but still need to see what looks really nice in secondlife amoung the 1000 textures on my desktop :)

I appreciate the help. 

Local textures is the easiest method and Drongle pointed you there. You can also use the BETA GRID, Aditi and upload both your mesh and the textures there for testing. It is peaceful over there on the mesh sandboxes and not crowded. Saves lots of money especially if you are learning or experimenting. If you haven't used Aditi, note that you will need to do a separate Mesh Uploader test. It is a different grid.

Some folks have problems getting an account on Aditi. If that is the case and you do a lot of uploading you could use another grid like Inworldz or Kitely where the rules are very similar and the uploads are free. I asked about that long ago when I was starting and folks said it didn't work. While the land impact costs may come up differently on other grids, the items import the same way (not counting the physics issue which wouldn't be important in flowers or deco items) and some folks I know are using those grids for testing and selling their products in both places. 

It mostly just depends on how much uploading you plan to do.

Chic is right about some having a problem logging into the preview grid (ADITI). The simple solution to that problem is to create an Alt-Avatar.

The problem is more common among those that have a large inventory. Alt's with little inventory seldom have a problem.

To minimize the possibility of problems with the preview grid, I suggest you attempt to login. If you make it in, great. If not change your SL password. Wait at least 24 hours, longer is better, and try a  login. That usually works.

Problems are often encountered when one changes their password and then attempts to login to the preview grid in less than 24 hours.

Logging into to the main grid has no effect on the preview grid. So, you can change your password and continue to use the main grid without any delay. Just stay out of the preview grid for at least 24 hours after a password change.

The problem most see after they login is a funky inventory that refuses to allow you to rez items recently added to your main SL grid inventory and refusing to store things in inventory in the preview grid. You upload something and see it in inventory, but when you log off and later come back, it is not in inventory. Annoying.

If any of that happens, change your password, wait 48 hours and try again. It is a trial an error process.

Main grid and preview grid inventories are separate. Problems come as the main grid inventory is copied over to the preview grid. The copy replaces every thing you had in the preview grid. That is intended. But, the copy does not always work as well as we expect. Then you get funky inventory problems. Keep trying until the copy works.

I got in aditi and textured my flower. But don't know what to do after that. I will see what happens next :) I also got 59K lindens waw waw lol

I did it!!! I sent my first ever product to the marketplace from aditi!!! I hope all goes well.

Only one thing scares me. What if for some reason in the future I can not log into aditi?? I will never be able to see my products or modify them since they don't appear in secondlife grid inventory. 

The idea is that you develop on Aditi, then pay the upload fee just once on the main grid when you are satisfied. Now you seem to be saying you could get an object onto the marketplace from Aditi. Is that right? Did you get charged the upload fee on the main grid when you did that? Or does that provide a way of getting stuff onto the main grid without the upload feee? I can't believe that could be possible.

I dont think I got charged but I have to check. I should be charged I assume. I have to try another mesh upload; the one i sent to market place was already uploaded in my the main grid before. I just added textures to it and sent it to market place. Now please remember this is my first time building anything in sl so I am sorry if I give any wrong information. I am just learning.

Ok yes all is done in the aditi grid and i sent it to market place. I uploaded the mesh there, tried textures on, uploaded textures and set price, then sent the folder to outbox and then sent it to the market place. All in aditi. I did not get charged in my main account in secondlife. I kept checking. 

Ha and when i go to my account there is no added product!!!!!! So although it says the file is sent there is no file sent :)

Now I have another problem. This is done in my main accout in secondlife in a sandbox.

I textured a palm tree, just leaves and the trunk. Looks good. I took a copy to my inventory and re-rezzed it to see if the textures are stil on yes they r there. 

But i sent it to the market place and bought it as a gift to my alt account to see if all is good. No textures!!! Just a blank white palm tree mesh.

What did I do wrong? Is there something I need to click to keep the textures on while editing the product in sl? How come the textures didnt stick? Feeling bad :(

LovedWarrior Quan wrote:

Ok yes all is done in the aditi grid and i sent it to market place. I uploaded the mesh there, tried textures on, uploaded textures and set price, then sent the folder to outbox and then sent it to the market place. All in aditi. I did not get charged in my main account in secondlife. I kept checking. 

Ha and when i go to my account there is no added product!!!!!! So although it says the file is sent there is no file sent
:)

You have sent your palm tree to the Aditi Marketplace. :matte-motes-tongue:

https://marketplace.aditi.lindenlab.com/

It's for testing only.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.