where and how to report humiliation

Shams Steamer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Merry Christmas and a happy new Year to all,
Hi, i am Shams , i joined the Ditko University because i love to learn 3d graphics I did not know about the University, some of my friend recommended me, I spent most of my time to setup the environment like downloading teamviwer , reference photo etc in my first class session, after my second Class i got a message from Heven Ditko " Please dont come back " me and my friend thought its a mistake, i also asked her, if i had violated any rule but i left un - answered, my friend encouraged me to join the class, maybe that message was for some one else and if it was for me i may had been banned, and so i did join the class after couple of day, but now i am banned, my question to you guys is it fair ? , you punish some one without saying what there mistake is , you ban some one for no reason, i asked her if i violated any rule of the class, i do apologize, but i should know why i am being treated like that, . but seems she dont even bother to let me know of the mistake i did, and was banned. I just wanted to put this incident here for you, that you never know, someday she don't like the way you sit or walk or your ava and ban you so just be careful and happy classes  , she might have done it before too. I will try other sources to find out why i was ban for the class in that University, if it is a University. i know i will be kicked out from the group too after this message.

I only want to know what was my mistake and what is the reason of my ban, is it possible in SL to ban some one without any reason ? of course they can if its private place, but if its registered to Linden as University (I don't know if it is) if not then can any one use the name University for their private place ?  where do i complain things like this, i only want to know my mistake at least so that i will be more careful from next time, was this ban because the person was from a particular region ? Race and color or believe ? if not then what was it. 

Do I have the right to know Thanks.

My suggestion to Linden management ,

if some one name their place as public place like garden, mall, school or University the rule should be different than a private place. They should not allowed to let people come there places and face the insult or humiliation by them , there should be some liabilities to it, and they should have the right reason to do so, and they should provide the prove upon the request from the management that what they did was right 

4 answers to this question

It's not a "university" and isn't registered with Linden Lab. As far as I can tell, it's someone who teaches various 3D applications for free. For whatever reason, the person running it doesn't want to teach you.

As you stated yourself, as a private place it can ban anyone it wants. And there's nothing you can do about it. Sorry.

Hey there Shams,

Merry Christmas and may you experience a Happy New Year as well.

To answer the specific question of "Can someone simply ban me for any reason" the answer is Yes. The Linden Lab TOS clearly allows for the owners of Mainland Regions, Private Regions and Parcels [both Mainland & Estate] to ban anyone for any reason at anytime. In the long run this does allow for an overall smoother Virtual World.

But to your point, Yeah, someone offering to educate others in SL regarding any topic at their own "Place of Learning" [i hesitate to call it a university as it is not affiliated with any real world accredited University]; who then eliminates members of the student body without so much as a reason speaks more to the owners biases and non-professional background.

You have graciously presented your frustration with this organization here and that speaks more to your character.

Speculating on the actual reason for your ban will be frustrating especially if you have no way to contact the owner of the learning center or if they choose to not respond to you. I applaud you for wanting to understand why however.

Unlike the real world you have no "rights" to access any public facility in SL. Who may access a nominally public institution [or club or teraformed region, etc.] is completely up to the owner of the space. There are no lawyers to consult; no case law to cite and  no court to plead your case to.

I understand that this was personally embarrassing to you but you'll grow as you work your way through this issue and find other mentors in SL worthy of your friendship.

So the bottom line is; I recommend that you seek another mentor and be sure to enter into that relationship with an understanding that suits you both.

• Like 2

I'm sorry this has happened to you, but as KarenMichelle says, a land owner can ban you for any reason, or no reason.

If I may, let me give you an instructor's perspective on this.  I teach classes on Second Life topics at Caledon Oxbridge University.  Like the place you went to, COU is not a "real" university, we just call ourselves that.  There ARE real universities with a Second Life presence, and this can lead to some confusion!  Most of the RL universities own private regions, and limit access only to their registered students, although there are some exceptions.

When I teach at COU, sometimes I get students who are a problem.  Some of them are griefers...they start rezzing particle poofers, pushers, or hundreds of replicating objects.  They fly around, sit on my lecture podium, or engage in off-topic conversations in local chat.  Some of them are more subtle, and use behaviors that can be lumped under the heading of "trolling".  One tactic that such people often use when they are ejected or banned is to IM me and demand "what did I do!?"  In most cases, they know darn well what they did, and only want to engage in time-wasting argument. 

While I try to cut newcomers some slack, I don't have endless patience with these people.  I have, after all, other students to teach and their time and mine is valuable.  And so, once someone has clearly demonstrated that they are a problem...out they go! 

Misunderstandings are possible, of course.  It may be that you truly didn't mean to cause a problem.  But the above sort of situation may be what the instructor was perceiving, whatever it was that you actually intended. 

• Like 1

I have heard of students being kicked out of various places for everythign from not tipping enough to asking too many questions. Bear in mind that anyone can ban people from their private estates or groups. Being banned isnt really reportable.

I would reccommend checking out the classes at reputable places such as New Citizens Inc, Caledon Oxbridge, Builders Brewery or other groups in this List of Second Life Skills Training Schools on the SL Wkki.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.