How do I stop getting group invites?

Pat Perth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Everyday, almost every time I log in, I get an invitation to join the same group from the same guy. I have muted the guy and banned him from my sim. I have filed 25 abuse reports. Several others I know have been receving the same spam. Anybody else having this problem? Please contact me in-world if you are. Anybody know how to stop it?

Dora Gustafson wrote:

If you have muted the guy and scripted objects sending invites, I don't see how you get them

Of course if the guy keep on rezzing new invite sending objects there is not much you can do

Is that the case?

:smileysurprised:
:)
:smileyvery-happy:

Actually as I recall the problem always was that although the invite is initiated by the person because it comes from the Group there is no way to stop it.  (error redacted) There is no way to mute a Group in SL.

Unless LL should decide that this person's constant sending of group invites is 'spamming,' there is really nothing that can be done.  If there is something about  the Group itself that violates the TOS the group could be reported. Otherwise I am aware of no other solution.

Incoherendt Randt wrote:

Group invites come straight from avatars, they can come from anywhere on the grid, just like instant messages. One of the community viewer developers is working on it, watch
for progress.

Sadly that JIRA dates back to January 09, almost five years ago now. 

There are a few more recent comments on it but other than being acknowledged no Linden has ever commented on it.

This issue has been discussed in the past on several occasions.

Contrary to what you said, they do not "come straight from avatars."  They are only initiated (activated) by users and that is the problem.  You are told who initiated the invite but Group joining is a function of Groups and (error redacted) there is no way to mute a Group.    So it is a loop hole that gets exploited sometimes. 

@Pat.  I know you stated you are filing AR's.  It would be interesting to see the response to a "Bug Report" instead.  "I am still getting Group Invites from muted Ava's." 

Do your homework.

Most of the viewer mute fixes have come thru Jonathan Yap, he has a really good record of getting things done with LL. If he's working on it, it will get done sooner or later.

Contrary to what you said, group invitations do in fact come straight from avatars, every bit as much as instant messages or chat do. The server is the transport medium and checks the invitation privileges, but you were totally, completely uttely wrong  when you wrote up in this post that "although the invite is initiated by the person because it comes from the Group". That's just plain false. Groups are just database entries the message system checks against, they aren't active entities like avatars.

Did you ever read a group invitation? It even tells you who sent it. The viewer isn't capable enough to work with the message format it gets, that's what Jonathan is working on.

Only human driven avatars, or scripted agents (bots) can send direct group invites,  scripts can only send you a link you have to click in chat to join.  You can mute scripted objects, but if a new one is made then you have to mute that one too.  I am not sure why if you mute an avatar or bot you are getting anything from them.  Maybe it is multiple bots that send out the invites

If it's bots, hopefully the new limit on messages they can send will cut back on a lot of this.  In the meantime AR for spam.

Incoherendt Randt wrote:

Do your homework.

Most of the viewer mute fixes have come thru Jonathan Yap, he has a really good record of getting things done with LL. If he's working on it, it will get done sooner or later.

Contrary to what you said, group invitations do in fact come straight from avatars, every bit as much as instant messages or chat do. The server is the transport medium and checks the invitation privileges, but you were totally, completely uttely wrong  when you wrote
that "although the invite is initiated by the person because it comes from the Group". That's just plain false. Groups are just database entries the message system checks against, they aren't active entities like avatars.

Did you ever read a group invitation? It even tells you who sent it. The viewer isn't capable enough to work with the message format it gets, that's what Jonathan is working on.

I stand corrected on that point.

And hopefully Jonathan will be able to get LL to incorporate the fix.

I did ask a little while ago in Firestorm support about the problem.  This was the Convo.

[11:54] Perrie: (FS 4.4.2m) On the page about the people nearby window, http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/people_nearby_tab it shows groups being blocked.  But i can find no way to block a group.  How does one do that?

[11:57] <name redacted>: Perrie, to block a group, you can: A) Not join; 2) Open the group profile and choose not to receive notices and/or chat; or D) Leave.  :-)) (Option 2 probably applies to the question, though)

[11:59] Perrie: (FS 4.4.2m) So then no actual way to block?  Trying to deal with spammed invites for a group.  Blocking th esender is not blocking the group invites.

[12:00] <name redacted>: Perrie, only an avatar can send group invitations, and blocking an avatar does not block group invites. That was a decision reached by LL on how blocking works.  :-))

[12:00] Perrie: (FS 4.4.2m) ok, tyvm.

I'd love to see this changed also.

(the group shows up in the block window when you chose to not recieve group chats)

The group shows up because LL broke some things a few years ago.

The old group invitation message had everything needed to do a mute nice and easy.

Then a few years ago, a bunch of message types including invitations were consolidated into the tragically named ImprovedInstantMessage. LL goofed, and forgot to replicate all the information that was in the old "unimproved" messages. That's what they need to fix now.

Incoherendt Randt wrote:

The group shows up because LL broke some things a few years ago.

The
had everything needed to do a mute nice and easy.

Then a few years ago, a bunch of message types including invitations were consolidated into the tragically named
. LL goofed, and forgot to replicate all the information that was in the old "unimproved" messages. That's what they need to fix now.

I see that some of that dates back to 2006 which is before I started in 2007.

I don't recall ever seeing/having the ability to block groups.

The oldest discussion I found (there have been several) was this:

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/a3/229838/1.html

ETA, I'd still recommend that any one having a problem file a Bug Report, "Muting Ava does not stop group invites."  I know of no other way to let LL know we are still bugged by this.

I have been inaccurate in saying the guy sends me a group invitation.

He opens the Group Profile for the group he apparently wants me to join.

I know you can offer a person the chance to see that page using the URI "secondlife://app/group/<group_id>/about", but this call only creates a link, which if you click, you get the profile. I don't know how he manages to make the profile appear on my page without making me first click on a link.

Pat Perth wrote:

I have been inaccurate in saying the guy sends me a group invitation.

He opens the Group Profile for the group he apparently wants me to join.

I know you can offer a person the chance to see that page using the URI "secondlife://app/group/<group_id>/about", but this call only creates a link, which if you click, you get the profile. I don't know how he manages to make the profile appear on my page without making me first click on a link.

I'm at a complete loss here.  I asked a few friends who are more savvy than me last night and none of them have heard of this.

All I can suggest is filing a Bug Report because as far as I know a group profile should not pop up without an action by you.

You must be part of some group he is in. There is actually a feature in your SL software that prevents group invite in your perferences depending on which viewer you use. A second solution would be to go in your groups and uncheck all the boxes and thismight as well take care of your problem.

• 9 months later...

Hello,

mute group is exactly what can stop unwanted group invites, and apparently is supported server side.

I still have some groups in my mute list, that I blocked some time ago, they are listed in the .cached_mute file with the code 3.

Problem is that the conditions to mute a group are very rare.

I made some test using an alt, and the only way I found to mute a group was an object owned by the group that gives an inventory item (like a LM or notecard giver). In that case the dialog contain the button "mute owner" and that actually mute the group.

Once the group is muted, all group invites are muted too, even if the group owner is not muted.

Unfortunately group owned objects like this are very rare, LM givers are usually owned by the group owner or one of the officer/manager, and not deed to group. For this reason I was able to mute only few groups.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.