Group question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Creating a group

create group1.jpg

Prerequisites

Anyone can create a group in Second Life, but remember:

• It costs L$100 to create a group.
  • Any group that has less than two members for 48 hours is automatically disbanded.

When you create a group, you automatically become the group's owner.  That is, you will be assigned the Owners role.

Process

To create a group:

1. Choose Communicate > Groups or right-click on your avatar and choose My Groups.
  2. Click the + button then choose New Group...
  3. Enter the name of the group.  The name must be at least four and less than 36 characters long.  Every group name must be unique in Second Life; you won't be allowed to create a group that has the same name as an existing group.
  4. Optionally, create a group insignia (image) by clicking on the image thumbnail and then choosing a texture from your inventory.
  5. Optionally, write a brief description of the group.
  6. To make the group open (anyone can joing without an invitation) select Anyone can join.  If you don't select this, then only those invited will be able to join.
  7. If you want the group to have a cost to join, select Cost to join and choose a number of L$.
  8. Select the group's maturity rating
  9. Click Create Group and confirm your choice when prompted.

After you create a group, one of the first things you will want to do is to set up roles and abilities. See Creating new roles for more information.

32px-KBcaution.png

Important: Once you create a group, you cannot change its name.  So be certain of the name you choose, since you won't be able to rename it!

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Creating-managing-moderating-and-disbanding-groups/ta-p/700111#Section_.1

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

So got a few dumb question so bare with me.. or is it bear.. honestly I am too tired to think right now. Anyways, I want to start a group chat of my own but I was wondering if you have to own a sim to do that. If not how does one start a group.. Thanks in advance for putting up with me.

Seph...a science teacher of mine once said that there are no such things as dumb questions, just dumb answer. (and believe me, I'm full of those) :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Depending on what you want to do, you can start a group chat with people on your friend's list without owning a group. All you would need to do is (at least on FS) hold down shift and highlight those people who you want to talk to, then click IM. That will open up a box where all the people in the group should (theoretically) be able to chat with each other.

Hope that helps and I don't ever mind putting up with you.... :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

So got a few dumb question so bare with me.. or is it bear.. honestly I am too tired to think right now. Anyways, I want to start a group chat of my own but I was wondering if you have to own a sim to do that. If not how does one start a group.. Thanks in advance for putting up with me.

"Bear with me".  I got a chuckle out of what kind of group you were forming.  I was imagining all the group sitting around chatting in the nude.  If that is what you intend then "bare with me" would be a good play with the phrase and a clever name of the group.

Actually I guess the group members could be invited to bare their souls, emotions or thoughts on the subjects being discussed so the name "bare with me" would still work.  Of course It could attract others whose mind instantly travels down the same path mine did.

Studio09 wrote:

Actually I guess the group members could be invited to bare their souls, emotions or thoughts on the subjects being discussed so the name "bare with me" would still work. 
Of course It could attract others whose mind instantly travels down the same path mine did.

And that may or may not be a good thing... Just kidding.. Love your sense of humor. Could use a chuckle right now.

Studio09 wrote:

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

So got a few dumb question so bare with me..

"Bear with me".  I got a chuckle out of what kind of group you were forming.  I was imagining all the group sitting around chatting in the nude.  If that is what you intend then "bare with me" would be a good play with the phrase and a clever name of the group.

I think the SL Philosophy group used to be run by a person who was also in charge of a 'permanently naked [some explicit term]' group...

So their meetings, with the purpose of discussing meaningless questions like the meaning of things, would always feature said person and a few others in naked avatars. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.