What can you do in Second Life?

tylerlane516

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been reading about it online. Is it really just like real life. How far does it go? On some websites it says you can have sex. Is it like on the Sims where it blurs it out because it would be kind of creepy if you could see it. What kind of places can you explore. What kind of people do you meet?

3 answers to this question

You can do anything you want, including fly.  Instead of asking, why not see for yourself?  A Basic membership is free.  That's all I've ever had, and I have been here 7 years.

Read this first >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Second-Life-Quickstart/ta-p/1087919

Oh, and watch some of these videos.  Some are a bit goofy, but it takes all kinds  :smileyvery-happy: >>> http://secondlife.com/whatis/?lang=en

Yes, you can have sex in SL, if you are 18 or older.  No, the screen is not blanked out or blurred.

Second Life is very much like Real Life.  You can meet people, make friends.  Go shopping, go dancing.  Go to a live music performance.  Watch videos.  You can sail a boat, drive a car or motorcycle, fly a plane, go skydiving.  You can ski, skate, play golf or tennis.  You can engage in combat with swords, guns, or other weapons (in designated areas...don't just go shooting up the noncombatants!)  You can join groups with interests in almost anything...history, debate, philosophy, learning languages.  You can learn to build things, and if you are good enough, you can sell your creations to other people.

Any environment you can think of is here somewhere.  There are almost 30,000 "regions" in Second Life.  Here is just one example, a winter wonderland reported on by blogger Inara Pey: http://modemworld.wordpress.com/2013/11/30/a-radiant-wintertime-in-second-life/

You can customize your avatar.  Be whatever you want -- man, woman, child, animal, fairy, dragon, horse, mermaid or coffee table.  No, I'm not kidding.  I had a nice long talk with a coffee table once.  Also a giant orchid, but that's another story.

You can buy or rent land, build a house, put in landscaping.  You can buy more land, and try to make a profit by renting it out to other residents.

You can engage in roleplay.  Live in a Wild West town, or a vampire castle, or a fairy forest.  Prowl the mean streets of a postapocalyptic city hunting zombies.

The motto of Second Life used to be "Your World, Your Imagination"...the motto has changed, but the description is still pretty accurate.  Second Life is a world that you can experience, explore, and even mold to your own fancy.

• Like 1

Short answer: Everything imageinable.

This is not the Sims, most residents are adults and the world has huge parts of adult-only regions. Everything here is created by people populating Second Life, people like you.

So go out and find what you enjoy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.