Clicking on inventory button causes halt.

Bjorn Collins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Everyone,

First, Im not sure if this is for the server category or the client category, its an issue none the less.

When I click to open my inventory, the button gets pressed down for a few seconds without anything happening, and then the window opens, same with search, it stops working for a few seconds and then continues on its way.

A friend of mine has told me he has the same issue, after the last clientupdate.,

To make sure everything ius in order, here is my list of what I have done to see if it was on my side.

I simply uninstalled the whole viewer, including clearing everything from appdata folders and the registry and then reinstalled everything, windows update is all done and my drivers are all up to date.

My system is as follows:

Intel i5 2500K

32 GB DDR3 1800

Intel 530 PRO SSD 240GB

Asus GTX 660 TI OC (Texture Memory is set down to 256, because it seems like SL cant handle the 512 as max)

I run a 200/200 mbit fiber optic network which is cabled. (and Maximum bandwidth is just default at 500 kpbs)

Windows 7 64bit

* I should add down here that its only the inventory button that has this issue, I 'can' use the client, its just an annoyance, especially as a builder.

Intel i5 2500K

32 GB DDR3 1800

Intel 530 PRO SSD 240GB

Asus GTX 660 TI OC (Texture Memory is set down to 256, because it seems like SL cant handle the 512 as max)

I run a 200/200 mbit fiber optic network which is cabled. (and Maximum bandwidth is just default at 500 kpbs)

/me drools

Windows 7 64bit

/me mumbles "pfff"

Jokes aside I would usually hint on checking your network or your settings but with your setup I can only see one possible culprit: your viewer. Assuming you're still one of the few diehards who use the LL viewer my only remommendation is to switch to something better. FS, Sing, Cool, pretty much every TPV is better than LL's own offering.

Oh, and set your texture memory to 512, dammit. SL can handle it very well!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, because otherwise textures often never rez and/or stays blurry forever, even if I stand next to them for 20 minutes.

But I tried changing the slider to the middle (5000 kbps) and also to max (10000 kbps) and nothing changes, the client hangs and freezes for a few seconds whenever clicking the inventory button and also when changing between the "my inbventory" and "recent" tabs. Its incredibly frustrating and it ONLY happends with Linden Labd's own client, no other clients has this issue, yet I prefere using the normal wiever, but I might change my mind soon enough, LL is not keen on support to much.

I see this went a month with no improvement; that's too bad. It's a weird one, though, given that you're only seeing it with the Linden viewers, even though the inventory processing is overwhelmingly identical across viewers. The one thing I can think of is a "stuck" preference regarding "HTTP Inventory" in the Develop menu. (If there's no "Develop" in your menubar, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+q first.)

It's kind of grasping at straws, but it's easy enough to toggle that setting to see if it makes any difference. If it does, it could be an ISP issue (although I've only heard of that problem arising in Japan). 

Not sure what to try next, when that doesn't work. Orca's opinion notwithstanding, the Linden viewers are the only game in town if one wants to sample the newest, sometimes experiemental features before TPVs get them, so I don't blame you for wanting to get this working.

(Incidentally, 50K is a pretty large Inventory. Yes, folks have larger, but large inventories have more problems -- especially folders with very large numbers of items inside. But you still shouldn't be seeing what you're seeing.)

• Lindens

Qie Niangao wrote:

I see this went a month with no improvement; that's too bad. It's a weird one, though, given that you're only seeing it with the Linden viewers, even though the inventory processing is overwhelmingly identical across viewers. The one thing I can think of is a "stuck" preference regarding "HTTP Inventory" in the Develop menu. (If there's no "Develop" in your menubar, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+q first.)

I would suggest trying this (turning 'HTTP Inventory' off).  I believe the setting is dynamic (not requiring a relog).  But relogging is safest.

The SecondLife.log file may offer an explanation.  Note the time, to the second, when you click 'Inventory'.  Then examine the log file for problems concurrent with that time.  These will also be valuable when filing a JIRA report.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.