login error. "Waiting for region handshake'.

Rezmm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

Reprinted from

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Login-failure/ta-p/700109

If you can't log in to Second Life, the error message may indicate the source of the issue.

Waiting for region handshake

The "Waiting for Region Handshake" message occurs when the Second Life Viewer does not receive an acknowledgement from the server.  The usual cause of this error is a firewall blocking UDP packets. Reconfigure your firewall to resolve this problem.

For information on how to configure firewalls, see: Using Second Life with a firewall.

This can be an issue with your ISP and it's equipment.

Check your anti-virus software too.  It may be denying you access.

The "waiting for region handshake" message means exactly that.  The servers got an initial message from your viewer, saying that you are logging in, and they have gotten tired of waiting for you to do it.  Often, the problem is that your login was trapped by a firewall, but there could be other reasons for a timeout as well.  A wireless connection can have interference from nearby sources (cell phones, garage door openers, fluorescent lights ...), for example, or your router or modem may have an intermittent connection, or your ISP may be doing maintenance on their equipment.  Get off wireless, reboot your router and modem, and check with your ISP.

• Like 1

my firewall is turned off completely, uninstalled firestorm, reinstalled firestorm, still handshake error turned rooter off at wall rebooted it still handshake error... took firestorm off put SL own download, rebooted modem, ran both on run as administrator, still handshake error every time switching my modem off completely... & NO FIREWALL... This is a second life ERROR Not ours PLEASE SECOND LIFE FIX IT

If it were a SL error, we would be flooded with similar questions today, and we're not. Yours is the only one. That error message is almost always due to a connection issue on the client side. You seem to have tried the common tricks for curing it, so there is something more serious going on. You may have a failing router or modem, or damaged cables. I had a somewhat similar problem a few years ago that my ISP finally traced to corrosion in their connection box at the street. Try logging in to your account from a computer at a different location. If you have a laptop, for example, log in from a friend's house. If that works, you know the problem is at home.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.