Brainstorming a New Virtual World

Genesis129

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

HI, I'm an LSL scripter who has recently begun gaining skills in the Processing language as well.  I also rent a Mac mini server on which I develop Processing and AppleScript code.  Some of the things I have developed using this platform include sculpt2mesh converters, prim2mesh converters, the Metaverse Core 3D web page and metaverse hub, and just in the past few weeks I coded a 3D shopping app for use as an Android front end for any 2D point of sale web page (or any other web page for that matter).  So there have been some successes amidst a sea of little wannabee learning apps and such.  For my next trick:  "Nothing up my sleeve... PRESTO! a virtual world.  

While there are many ways to go about this, my current plan is to write a server side program set that communicates with both an Android app and an LSL object.  First I thought I'd make a chat relay so that folks in SL could communicate with each other and with phone users.  Then maybe add the ability to rez boxes and spheres (the primitives in Procesing), put a script in them, and have them appear in the server's virtual world and be displayed on the phones' virtual world as well.  I have a lot of loosely-knit ideas as to how to structure this and how to establish connectivity over the web, and also regarding user scriptable objects in the server world..  

What I'd like to do is open up a discussion of how to do this and if it is worth doing.  Thoughts anyone?

Hi, are you about to create a SL clone or a SL Viewer ?

The first is done so many times and none is really succesful.

An SL Viewer for Android, well there is one with limited graphics and some with text only (and some inventory functions)

No idea why this belongs to the LSL part of the forum.

Anyway, sorry if i misunderstood what you on about.

Monti

Hi Monti, and thanks for your reply.  This is not an SL clone or SL viewer, and I agree with your comments related to those endeavors.  I use Mobile Grid Client on Android to log in and do IM's and other stuff, no graphics or sound but great for IMs and much more.  Actually, this project is very open ended by nature.  

The goal is to provide an enhancement to SL, not a replacement or another way to interact with SL really.  It is related to LSL because I would like to have some sort of inworld component to it, and that would requre LSL.  I have made a few little mini-worlds based on Processing with targets to Android, desktop (Mac, PC, and Linux are supported), and web.  

The server has a fixed IP so it would be referenced by that IP on both Android and SL programs.  Some possible things to do with such an internet communications link are:  chat, control avatar from phone, build from SL prims and have them appear in another world (or even OSGrid as the server hosts some megaregions), or a host of other possibilities.  I have learned bits and pieces of the whole project but some few items especially related to networking and texturing are within my grasp but not yet understood by me.  

It might be to make an "Android world" within SL and/or OSGrid that one can interact with either through a viewer or through the android client.  There are also possibilities of using the phone's sensors to augment the SL/OSGrid experience, or maybe just a sim to sim link between SL and OSGrid.  

As you can clearly tell, I am very vague about the project at this time.  I tend to do that, go into things undefined and open ended, sometimes accomplising something really cool, and more often producing nothing or junk.  Or shall we call it "junque" and make it stylish?  lol.  Thoughts, ideas, comments, condemnations, ruminations, and even generalizations are most welcome, my fellow SLites!  

As is often the case, you sound bogged down in geek.

What is the overall problem that you're aiming to solve with this? What is being proposed that I and others need or are you just doing it for the sake of geekism?

Nothing wrong with that either but it's a different conversation, that's all.

An Android world within SL ? Gosh that sounds tough but interesting.

You cannot link OS to SL in a way that would make sense. Just copy the contents of one Sim to another isn´t possible for some and doesn´t seem have any use.

Using the phones sensors/camera to simple walk thru SL or walk with AugReality, might work, more as an extension to the mouse (i know there are 3D pointing devices out there)

Well, yes your ideas are very vague but as you said, lets see what comes out.

Monti

Geekism for it's own sake, I'm all for that, and yes i sound overly geeky to my friends, oh well.  And vague?  Yes for sure!  I'm just brainstorming with whoever wants to join in on the fun (and welcome to  you both).  

I have built virtual worlds before:  small special purpose limited worlds that serve some specific purpose, or are even general purpose tools.  I have a mixed hodge-podge of ideas and capabilities that I'd like to chunk in together in creating a virtual world of a novel type.  

For example, perhaps  you have heard of the game "core wars".  This is a now old-timey game in which you code a program to run on an emulated battle CPU environment.  In go two (or more) bots, only one survives!  One possibility is to make a similar type of competition environment where scripted prim objects battle each other and the server program acts as referee and audience viewpoint.  That way the general public, most of whom has no interest in downloading a viewer and setting up an account, can get in on the action much like a television program let's say.  

Another idea that I've toyed with (and demonstrated once) is to run server applications from inworld by looping on a screenshot of the app, updating a web page with that screenshot, viewing the app window using media on a prim, and sending back mouse clicks and text snippets from LSL.  In this way I could leave my iTunes running on my server and anyone with privilege to control the inworld prim object can then control the music that iTunes broadcasts (via NiceCast) on the parcel media.  

In a more advanced approach, one could drop source code notecards for an external programming language such as my favorite music programming language, ChucK, and ovserve the result inworld.  In ChucK's case that would again be parcel media.  

Or... something completely different!  I'm just tossing out some ideas of favorite projects that I have dabble d in a bit and would like to collaborate with others in developing.  

First of all, welcome to the forums! Always room for another geek. :matte-motes-nerdy:

However, this forum would be the correct one for a specific question you might have with an actual LSL program you're working on.

Perhaps the General Forum http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/bd-p/GeneralDiscussionForum would be more appropriate for initiating a discussion such as this. You'd actually find a wider assortment of geeks there since not all of us are into LSL scripting.

I posted to the LSL forum because of the LSL component of what I'd like to do.  I know it's easy to miss one detail in a wall of text that someone else types, so let me reiterate:  

This world or game or environment or whatever it is would have an in-world component that might be in SL or OSGrid or both preferably, and also a server component and possibly (or not) a phone component.  These two or three components would talk with each other via HTTP, email, or whatever LSL has to offer in order to synch the components together.  For example, consider the following.  

I rent an SL property and rez a box of any desired size, rotation, and position on the property.  I then place in this box a comm script.  Upon running, the script knows to tell the server it's box's size, rotation, and position.  The server then rezzes a box (since Processing has a box primitive) in it's own virtual world.   I can program a web page with an embedded javascript object that then displays this box properly.  So in SL you rez + script, on the server you listen for new items, and on the server web page you display those items.  In this way, anyone can see what's on this property from a web page, or the boxes on it at least, allowing your friends and family who have no intention of joining sl to see your creation.  

That's just one possibility.  So you see, it is because of the LSL component that I chose to post here first.

Genesis129 wrote:

I posted to the LSL forum because of the LSL component of what I'd like to do.  ...
.  So you see, it is because of the LSL component that I chose to post here first.

Right, I'm certain everyone understands that.

But do you understand "this forum would be the correct one for a specific question you might have with an actual LSL program you're working on."?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.