Copying items using sim restart bug

Torleyman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3908 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've heard that items marked NO COPY/NO MODIFY/TRANSFER can be copied when a sim restarts. People put them on the ground and then pick them up as the sim is going though it's restart countdown. Then when the sim restarts it has rolled back 10 minutes and the item is copied (1 in inventory, another on ground).

Is this rumor true? :matte-motes-not-even:

Please no rumors - facts only :)

3 answers to this question

No.  In fact, that's a good way to lose no-copy items.  Do a quick search of the archives of Answers and you'll see that we get posts from worried/outraged residents who have lost no-copy items during sim restarts fairly frequently.

Now, if you are talking about owner-requested sim rollbacks, not normal sim restarts, please take special note of this warning from Linden Lab.............

32px-KBwarning.pngWarning: Deliberate use of rollbacks to obtain additional copies of no-copy content can be considered abuse and is dealt with accordingly.

• Like 1

I've heard of this happening in the past.   One of my tenants did it by accident -- he'd just rezzed an expensive sex bed, then the warning countdown started so he picked it up again, and then, when the sim came back up, he'd got one in his inventory and one on the ground, and he asked me what on earth was happening.   I can only assume it was because the final snapshot of the sim was taken before he picked up the original bed.

However,  that's not what's supposed to happen.   On the contrary, LL is trying harder and harder to ensure that the last snapshot is taken after all avatars have left the sim, but clearly that doesn't always happen.  So, since no one (including LL, apparently) really understands exactly when the back-up snapshot is going to be taken on a particular occasion, I don't think the exploit is reliably replicable.

I have gotten additional copies of No Copy items in the past, but it doesn't seem to be related to a sim restart.

Sometimes, I have taken up my classroom props at Caledon Oxbridge University, only to have them returned to me again by one of the managers.  I have no idea why the objects reappeared, or seemed to disappear when I Took them back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3908 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.