How can i stop attack's from combat hud's?,Help

dulcie2008

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2010 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Thank you so much for all your helpfull advise,The attacks where at freebie galaxy and the advice to stay away is great but i like it there,i meet up with friend's and meet new ones,it's sad that because of a few really ignorant people i will stay away for a while,Ive also found some very good advise,to just take the sit position,i cant be hit or moved and it will give me enough time to leave without becoming humiliated,below are some other tips i found that might help any one going through the same situation...once again Thank you for the advice...  A few tips to help against griefers:

Sit down (ALT+SHIFT+S) when you're idle or unpacking boxes. This prevents anyone or anything from pushing/moving you without your consent. It _also_ prevents you from accidentally sitting on any griefer object(s).
    Do not ever engage griefers. They'll just use that as a pretext to AR _you_, and get _you_ banned.
    Do not ever chat with griefers. It just gets them to wank their handcrank and get their rocks off.
    Do not ever accept any objects (clothing, boxes, whatever) from strangers. Even the nicest strangers giving you things might not be as nice as you think. Notecards, LMs and such are safe enough.
    If you do get hit by a griefer attack, TP away immediately. Do not try to click on your avi or anything else, unless you are VERY sure that you're indeed clicking in what you think you're clicking in. If you accidentally click on some griefer objects, your SLife is going to get a lot worse.
    Mute griefers (and just about anyone else who pisses you off)
    If you can, take a screenshot of what's happening and file an AR explaining exactly what happens/happened.
    TP away                                                                      

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Thank you so much for all your helpfull advise,The attacks where at freebie galaxy and the advice to stay away is great but i like it there,i meet up with friend's and meet new ones,it's sad that because of a few really ignorant people i will stay away for a while,Ive also found some very good advise,to just take the sit position,i cant be hit or moved and it will give me enough time to leave without becoming humiliated,below are some other tips i found that might help any one going through the same situation...once again Thank you for the advice...  A few tips to help against griefers:

Sit down (ALT+SHIFT+S) when you're idle or unpacking boxes. This prevents anyone or anything from pushing/moving you without your consent. It _also_ prevents you from accidentally sitting on any griefer object(s).
    Do not ever engage griefers. They'll just use that as a pretext to AR _you_, and get _you_ banned.
    Do not ever chat with griefers. It just gets them to wank their handcrank and get their rocks off.
    Do not ever accept any objects (clothing, boxes, whatever) from strangers. Even the nicest strangers giving you things might not be as nice as you think. Notecards, LMs and such are safe enough.
    If you do get hit by a griefer attack, TP away immediately. Do not try to click on your avi or anything else, unless you are VERY sure that you're indeed clicking in what you think you're clicking in. If you accidentally click on some griefer objects, your SLife is going to get a lot worse.
    Mute griefers (and just about anyone else who pisses you off)
    If you can, take a screenshot of what's happening and file an AR explaining exactly what happens/happened.
    TP away                                                                      

Welcome to Second Life Answers, dulcie2008

I am very sorry to hear of your negative experience in Second Life.  Generally speaking, no combat HUD should be able to have the power to turn your PC off. This would suggest that your PC is struggling with Second Life anyway, and it would be really useful if you would add your computer's specifications so we can offer suggestions on how you can improve your performance.

As regards combat HUDs, you can protect yourself by not going to places where griefers might visit.  I don't know which Galaxy you are at - presumably the club?  Or is it the liner called The Galaxy that takes up three sims?  Whichever, as it is not a known combat sim, I should think other people will have submitted abuse reports while your computer has gone into meltdown.

If you find you are visiting places where there are often griefers, then I'm afraid I think you would be better of trying to find better places to visit.  Quite contradictory, places that are set up as welcome HUBs inworld often attract griefers. 

You can add more to this thread by clicking on "options" at the top right hand corner of your original post and "edit".

• Like 2

Hi Dulcie,

It's possible the griefer rezzed a bunch of things that overloaded your graphics processor, causing your viewer to crash. Linden Labs appears unable to prevent this type of exploit, so I'm afraid the only solution is to move away from where the griefers are operating or perhaps reduce your draw distance so the things they rez are not in view.

I also recommend filing an abuse report on the griefer as well as reporting the attack to the club's owner.

• Like 1

In addition to Madeline and Marigold's answers, you can temporarily disable your view of objects of various types.  This feature can defeat a "graphics card overload" griefer attack, although it will also make a lot of the other things you see in world disappear as well.  Experiment with it before the next time you're attacked so you won't fumble for the controls. 

• Enable the Advanced menu on your top menu bar with CTRL+ALT+D, if it is not currently visible.
  • Go to Advanced/Rendering Types and uncheck the appropriate texture type(s).  Most likely "Simple" or "Particles", depending on the specific type of attacking objects.

You should also Block the offending avatars.  Right click them, and choose Block from the context menu.  You may then go on to Abuse Report them if you wish.

EDIT:  Thanks for going back and adding to your post, Dulcie.  Those are all very good pieces of advice for dealing with griefers.  I'll add that Freebie Galaxy is one of the venues that's subject to frequent harrassment by idiots like this (as are a lot of places where newcomers congregate.)  Use the place to shop for freebies, but I don't recommend you use it as a social venue to meet your friends.  Find another, quieter place for that.  One of my favorites is Caledon Oxbridge University.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2010 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.