Head Size?

Mirandaaaaaa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, the best you can do is picking up the free shape tool kit here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Shape-Tools/1835986

Make sure you open the link in the description, it takes you to a thread with pictures and more info. It can look complicated, but it's really not. All you need is a place to rez the included posestand and some minutes free time.

Then you can decide what head size that looks best for you, depending on how many heads tall the avatar is. Personally, I prefer somewhere between 7.5 and 8 heads... Resize the avatar head so it suits you. Now that we have rigged mesh hair, it follows the head size. A few years ago, the most popular head creator used size 50 for female hairs, so lots of shapes was made in that head size, without considering the avatar height.

Head size is going to depend on the avi size. A taller avi or one with broader shoulders is going to need a larger head. A good gauge is if you zoom away from the avi, if the head looks like a little ball balanced on the shoulders, you need to make it larger. Don't forget to make the neck thicker and probably a bit shorter so you don't look like a giraffe.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

Head size is going to depend on the avi size. A taller avi or one with broader shoulders is going to need a larger head. A good gauge is if you zoom away from the avi, if the head looks like a little ball balanced on the shoulders, you need to make it larger. Don't forget to make the neck thicker and probably a bit shorter so you don't look like a giraffe.

head size should determine avatar height and certain size of the body as well.. if wanting to get avg rl proportion..it's much easier to adjust from the head to everything else than the other way around..

if i am going for avg female proportions  i usually use 2 heads wide for female for good shoulder width.

the shoulders width and hips width should be about the same..

height should be anywhere from 71/2  to 8 heads for total height..

i usually just use 8

to get a head size is not so hard if you know how tall you want to be..

justmake a prim a cetain height..then put in 8 prims that fit inside that height..

then size your head to it..

for the rest i just use avg female body proportions formula from that head size..

here is what i usually do.

once i have a head size figured out to match the height i am wanting i scale from that  for the rest..

i get my basic measurements and height finished first and then come back later and adjust weight and such..

so  i'll make 8 heads or prims from that size of head and stack them on my pose stand linked together..

then get on my pose stand and line up the top head and adjust the avatar to the rest of the heads below.

for an example with a female formula i use..

the 1st head i measure from top of the head to the bottom of the chin for first measurement.. i take the z axis numbers from the size of that prim and use that for the rest of my math for the smaller measurements inside the other heads as i go down..

so if i need 1/3 i'll just divide my number by 3 and get my measurement for say my neck length.

for instance..

the 1st head from the top..measure down 1/2 a head for the center of the eyes..

the 2nd head down starts at the chin and ends up above the nipple

the 2nd head down at the top of that head at the chin.. measure down 1/3 of a head for neck length..

that will give you good shoulder to chin distance for neck length..

the 3rd head down should star up above the nipple and stop at the waist &elbow lines..

from the top of the 3rd head  measure down1/6 of a head for the center of the nipple height

and 1/3 down for bottom of the breast..

this is just avg ..breasts may vary in how high or low they are  hehehe

the 4th head down starts at waist &elbow lines

and should end at the hips above the crotch and the mid thigh..

from the side you can see where the tummy/body crosses pathes with the thigh to come to a point in the horizon ..that should be wear the bottom of the 4th head meets..

we are at the halfway point of the body now..

from the top of the 4th head down measure down 1/6 for center navel height and 1/2 for center hip height

the 5th head down starts at the mid point  of the body at the hips above the crotch and ends right around  mid thigh..

measure down from the top of the 5th head 1/8 down and this is where your wrist should be..

then next from the top of the 5th head measure down 1/3 of a head and this will be the crotch or bottom of your private parts..

then from the bottom of the 5th head measure up 1/8 and this is where your middle fingertip should be..or just finger tips..

we don't have to be dead on in any of these really.. this is just the formula i use..

ok the 6th head i mainly leg length stuff starts mid thigh and ends just below the knees.

the 7th head starts below just the knees and ends below the calves.

8th head starts just below the calves and ends at the bottom of the feet..

if you want to get really crazy with it all..you can go back and check everything with the golden ratio..

maybe when i retire i'll do that lol

a really good pose stand helps also...

the one i use is{ TMT Professional Pose Stand V4.912}

i put pose called T-down in it from another proportions kit i have bought and it gives me the hands to my side stand which helps with the formula i use..

it also has T-stand as well for arms out and other poses..

and this version when you set it to stay..it stays hehehe

here is some screenshots of the pose stand and a couple of the poses..i like to use

(don't mind the Avatar..it's a work in progress right now)

T-down posearms down pose.jpg

T-pose

T-pose.jpg

Three heads wide at the shoulders is super excessive. Even comic book super heroes are not generally three heads wide. 

Ceka hits the nail on the head and the shape making kit suggested by Marianne is really good.

Generally, your average adult human is 7.5 heads tall.  8 heads tall is considered "ideal", this is what artists use when drawing more attractive characters. Super heroes are generally between 8 and 9 heads tall, depending on how tall/muscular they are. Spider~Man would be 8 heads tall, Superman would be 9. 

(Wolverine would be more like 7, because he's pretty short!)

Of course, most SL avatars have extremely small heads, among other proportion issues which skew general perceptions of proportion. Most have extremely short "t-rex" arms and legs newrly twice as long as they should be.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.