rolling restart schedules

Jerilynn Lemon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've been reading of these rolling restarts on Linden Labs behalf. While I understand the reasoning behind them, I was wondering, is it possible to find when a given region or sim will be subjected to a restart?

Example: Say there is a region called PB&J. Could I find out in advance when PB&J would be subject to a rolling restart or is it all a roll of the dice?

3 answers to this question

I've been reading of these rolling restarts on Linden Labs behalf. While I understand the reasoning behind them, I was wondering, is it possible to find when a given region or sim will be subjected to a restart?

Example: Say there is a region called PB&J. Could I find out in advance when PB&J would be subject to a rolling restart or is it all a roll of the dice?

There are quite literally thousands of servers at Linden Lab.  As far as you and I are concerned, the order in which they restart is totally random.  I'm sure that the LL techs have some sort of internal list, but that's not public information.  On rolling restart days, plan to go exploring or shopping, or stay in RL and read a good book.  Most of the time, your own sim will only be off line for ten or twenty minutes, so it's really not much of an inconvenience.  Just remember: (1) Don't rez no-copy objects (2) don't move L$ around in world, and (3) save your creative work -- builds, scripts -- frequently until LL announces that the restarts are completed.

FWIW, many years ago LL used to take the entire grid off line for the entire day every Wednesday -- sort of an enforced SL holiday for all of us.  Rolling restarts may be annoying but they are a great improvement and a small price to pay for being fairly confident that the equipment is running properly.

You can figure it out. Visit the region and open the viewer's Help->About... Look for the server version. If it has an RC name in the version, then the restart will be on the RC restart day, usually Wednesday, but this week Thursday.

If there is no channel name in the version ID, then it is a region in the main channel and will typically restart on Tuesday, but it was Wednesday this week.

The late rolls were due to Monday being a US holiday.

It is possible to get a list of regions in a channel. But, it is a PITA. I have a recent list of Magnum channel regions here: Magnum Regions List. The list comes from the Grid Survey (gridsurvey.com) by Tyche Shepherd.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.