Non flexi bits in flexi hair, a fault that can be fixed?

bebejee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought a really nice flexi pony tail but when I put it on a thick, shard like stiff bit sticks out of it when the av moves, its unnoticeable if the av is still and the hair looks great. Its almost like the creator got fed up of making eack strand flexi and gave up, thankfully it wasnt too expensive so no issues there.

Wondering if such things can be fixed, or just accept it since they are selling it that way, but why would they do this deliberately? know it looks bad, is it time consuming to make hair flexi, do they do it strand by strand in the now more real looking hair thats out there?

Since we are at it, how is realistic flexi hair made? like Amazzonia by Tutuy's for example.

I bought a really nice flexi pony tail but when I put it on a thick, shard like stiff bit sticks out of it when the av moves, its unnoticeable if the av is still and the hair looks great. Its almost like the creator got fed up of making eack strand flexi and gave up, thankfully it wasnt too expensive so no issues there.

Wondering if such things can be fixed, or just accept it since they are selling it that way, but why would they do this deliberately? know it looks bad, is it time consuming to make hair flexi, do they do it strand by strand in the now more real looking hair thats out there?

Since we are at it, how is realistic flexi hair made? like Amazzonia by Tutuy's for example.

Stand on a pose stand so that you are immobilized.  Then, be sure that you have a backup copy of your hair safely in inventory and start editing the copy that's on your head.  Select the hair with your Build/Edit tool and then click the little Edit Linked box and click on the particular prim that is bothering you. Move it out of the way gently.  You will notice that most of the prims in your hair are not flexi. Only the few that are in the ponytail need to be.

If you're curious about how flexi hair is made, take a look at Natalia Zelmanov's four-part tutorial that starts at http://www.mermaiddiaries.com/2007/01/day-129-creating-prim-hair-part-1.html .  It's a bit dated now, but you'll find that it is very easy to follow and well illustrated.  If you do a bit of searching with Google, you'll find lots of more modern tutorials, but the basics don't change.

You can remove it if you want by rezzing the hair on the ground, going to edit and ticking off Edit Linked Parts.  Then click the offending prim and Unlink it using the button on the edit box or in the Build Menu at the top of your screen or ctrl+shift+L.

Just be sure you make a back up copy before you do this.  Also be aware the pony tail many not look as thick either as these act as fillers. If it does and If you have the patience you can unlink a few of the flexi pieces, make a bunch of copies and arrange them in the ponytail to take its place then link it all together.  I mod my hair all the time fixing little things I don't like.  It does take time though.

If you have copy permission, just right click on the hair in invnetory and select COPY, then right click again and select PASTE.  That will create your backup copy.

You can rez a pose stand anywhere that you have permission to rez stuff.  You can also use the Firestorm viewer, which has a built-in pose stand that you can use anywhere.  Of course you can rez the hair on the ground to work on it too.  I just prefer to edit wearable things while they are on me, so I can see how they fit.  That goes for hair, dresses, shoes, jewelry.....  Editing clothing and hair is good practice in learning fine motor skills with your editor and your camera.

honestly the reason the hair is partially solid is because there is an issue with alpha sorting. If all of thestrands were alpha'ed flexis it would clash in a weird way and would flicker (best way I can describe it). To get around this they put solid bits in the hair. If you want hair that doesn't go through you I would try mesh. There are some hair places that do flexi/mesh hair.

• 3 weeks later...

CTRL + Shift + L won't shrink anything.  That will UNlink the selected prim.  Once it is unlinked, then you can uncheck the Edit Selected box, click away for a second, and then re-select and delete that prim.  Frankly, though, I would only rarely delete a hair prim.  It's much easier to just reposition it, and that usually leaves the hair looking more full too.

bebejee wrote:

Ok I have isolated all the flexi and non flexi bits, except two that do not seem to get the arrows to set on them no matter what, ctrl+shft+L shrinks it but dosent make it vaniish or get deleted, what should I do to it to delete?

Rather than deleting it, I would suggest you merely make it transparent by selecting only the prim you're working with and setting it's transparency to 100% (under the textures menu).  That way you don't have to worry about messing with deleting or shrinking anything and no one will know the difference.

...Dres

bebejee wrote:

[ ...]

Rolig the ctrl shift L forms a box around the selected prim with things that you move and can shrink it or make it bigger.

Nope.  CTRL + Shift + L UNLINKS prims from a linkset.  See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Shortcuts

I have been using it since 2007 and just double checked now to be sure that Linden Lab hadn't done something strange while I was sleeping.  That has been the standard UNLINK keyboard shortcut for many years.

Thats strange because I have shrunk them to such a size that they need not even be deleted as they will easily vanish in the flexi hair and not stick out.

This is what I did;

1. Moved huge chunks of non flexi bits each seprately with coloured arrows of Edit Link function.

2. Right clicked on each chunk, the edit coloured arrows appeared again.

3. Then pressed ctrl+shft+L a misty box like shape formed over the prim with some smal white squares all around it and blue//green possibly red ones too inside of it, the coloured ones make the chunk rotate, while the white ones shrink or enlarge it when pulled up or down.

If I simply placed cursor on the chunk and pressed ctrl+shft+L nothing happened.

Aha!  It's your Step #3.  If you do CTRL + Shift + L and keep the CTRL and Shift keys held down, you do indeed get the "misty box" with the white handles in its corners.  That's because CTRL + Shift by itself is the keyboard shortcut to activate STRETCH mode.  Hitting the "L" key had nothing to do with it.  Release the CTRL and Shift  keys and all prims still stay highlighed so you can move them and rotate them together as you noted.  Again, that had nothing to do with CTRL + Shift + L.  You can move them and rotate them together because you selected them.  

So what did the key combination do? You UNlinked them.  You can still manipulate them as a coalesced unit if they are still selected, but as soon as you click away, they are separate, individual prims.  As soon as you hit the combination CTRL + Shift + L, all of the prims got yellow highlights.  If one of them had been the root prim, the change would have been obvious because its highlight would have changed from blue to yellow. If you had by chance only selected child prims, the change wouldn't be as obvious, but those prims would now be disconnected from the original linkset.  In any case, the reason you didn't need to delete them when you were all done is not that they were too small to worry about.  It was becuase you unlinked them, shrunk them, and left them behind when you took your hair back to inventory.  Unless an autoreturn has sent them back to you, they are still out there somewhere in the world, poor little orphan prims..... :smileysad:

Try experimenting with plywood boxes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.