I don't know how to dress up?

QUEENBEME

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

You might find this tutorial helpful https://secondlife.com/my/whatnext/video-tutorials/index.php?

There are also free things available inworld and on Marketplace to get you started. 

The Appearance button in the viewer (the one that looks like a T-shirt) also has the avatars listed with clothing, you can open the list of items by clicking on the arrow next to the outfits. Right clickin gon an item there or in inventory will give you the option to wear or add the item to your look. Right clicking your avatar will also give you amenu that allows you to "Take off". Experiment a little it's easy and you really can't break much.

The Linden avatars cannot get totally naked because the skins have underwear intergrated (painted) right on them.

If You find freebie items they will be deokvered to your inventory either in the main section or the Received Items...you should get a message telling you where (the inventory button has a picture of a suitcase)

The learn curve here can be a little steep but it get easier in a hurry.

Have a great second life

I always tell new people to not be afraid to ask questions, most residents will help you if they can

epps, typo delivered* I'm not sure what deokvered means

Oh and you can find things in world using search lots of free stuff in stores or in freebie places...the free stuff in regular stores that sell their own line is often of pretty good quality

Oooo!  You are going to have fun.  Here's a really short starting point >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Controlling-your-avatar-s-appearance/ta-p/700709 .  I mean, really short, and only the first half is what you want.  Fortunately, that's about all there is to the basics.

So... You have quite a bit of clothing in your Inventory.  Look in the Library folder, way at the bottom.  There's a folder labeled "Clothing."  Once you've read that really short primer, start practicing by wearing all the stuff in that folder.  Some of it is prety goofy, but you'll like some of it too.  Then, start visiting the freebie clothing shops.  There are many good ones in world, and it's more fun to wander around in SL to do your shopping than it is to page through Marketplace.  Use your Search function to look for "Free Clothes".  You'll be surprised at how good a lot of it is.

One final bit of advice..... Newbies always worry about accidentally becoming naked at the wrong place.  It happens to everyone sooner or later, too, so I guess it is something to think about.  The advice comes in two parts: (1) until you are confident about how to dress yourself, find a nice quiet sim - there are lots of them -- or find a deep body of water (You won't drown).  (2) If you are changing one thing at a time (as opposed to an entire outfit), always change clothing from the inside out -- just the reverse of RL.  Change any undergarments, then blouse, jacket, etc.  That way, the stuff you are removing/replacing is always under another layer until the very last thing you change.

Unlike Rolig I don't think you're going to have much fun dressing up.

SL has a steep learning-curve when you start and if you dive straight into changing clothes you'll have a difficult and frustrating time.  At minimum you need to be able to:

• Find your inventory
  • Find clothes in your inventory
  • Understand the difference between 'system' clothes and attachment prim-objects
  • Wear different layers of system clothes and multiple attachments
  • Move, rotate and resize SL objects, while you're wearing them

None of this is hard IF anyone ever tells you how to do it.  Trying to work it out for yourself is a nightmare though.  This is especially true of hair!  We are all bald and wearing wigs in SL - but not the 'system' hair.

The starter avatars look good these days so instead of making things hard for yourself before you start changing clothes visit an in-world helper organisation like those below and ask the helpers there for assistance.  Take a few classes, learn a bit about how SL works.  The big thing is that in order to understand how clothes work you have to understand (a little bit about) how building anything and everything in SL works.  No, there isn't much difference between a wig and a house in SL.

For helper organisations try visiting:

• NCI (several locations around SL.  Kuula sim is their main location but Hamnida is usually less busy and laggy).  Especially good for the range of freebies, classes and information available.  Helpers almost always available in Kuula, less often in other locations.
  • Caledon Oxbridge (Caledon Oxbridge sim).  A really impressive build with a walkthrough tutorial that covers almost all aspects of SL (including lessons on changing appearance!).  The 'Caledon' sims are a good place to start exploring SL too, especially if you like Victorian 'steampunk'.  There's usually a helper or two on duty but sometimes not.
  • Builder's Brewery (Builder's Brewery sim).  Not one I'm familiar with myself but recommended by other helpers here.

Watching women dressing up? "No, of course your backside doesn't look big in that", "Is 'chartreuse' really a colour?", "Can I go now?", "In that case, can we go to the underwear department instead?", "Awwww. come on, the pub's open"

But I should really have written "I don't think you're going to have much fun dressing up unless you learn a little about SL first"

There are clothing layers, tattoo layers, and objects, you can attach or wear on your avatar. Relig has a point, that you can go to the library and find many. And there is also an avatar appearance button, on your viewer, by default. It has many starter avatars for new people, just wanting to test the water. You can also go around shops, and buy things, or on Market Place. If you don't have the lindens, or you don't want to spend anything, there are freebies all over.

Clothing layers, are like clothes IRL, except they pretty much are your avatar's shape. Tattoo layers, can of course, give you tattoos, or people implement them in other ways.

Objects can be attached, and will go over your avatar's shape, and will actually look like it's there.

A combo of these things, is generally the best practice.

Lastly there are body parts: Hair, Eyes, Skin, and Shape. You will want to find some you like and use them. However the Hair options is completely useless, and ugly beyond belief. You will want to buy sculpty or preferrable mesh hair. sculpty hair however, may be found for free, in either of those places I mentioned before.

This all works from your inventory, like any window on a PC, or Mac. They all come like a file, in a folder. If you right click them, you have options. What you will be primarily concerned with at this moment; is add, and wear. Add will add it on top of what you have, and wear will replace what you have there already.

And a last note, mesh tends to come with another layer, alpha. You will need those, to keep your shape from sticking through the mesh. Which that's not ideal, mesh tends to be much more attractive, however.

You just should consider your body shape and skin color before you choose a fressing for yourself.And to give you a better look,a perfect hair dressing is also important and hair wigs may help a lot in your daily hair dressing.About hair wigs the important step is to learn how to style a synthetic wig and only by this way can you make your hairstyle changeable.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.