lots of ppl are pissed off. HOW???!!!

Zanqa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3907 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

is there a guide on how to go through second life clothes and changing my look.? this place most be more fun than spending my whole time on 2ndL trying  to put my avi together or changing clothes and end up looking like an Alein!!! most of ppl i have met said: "Oh well you will learn"!!!  hahahaha funny..after 4 years of being on 2ndl they have learnd how to use it!!!! Am i gonna wait another 2 weeks?!!:matte-motes-oh-rly:

7 answers to this question

For many residents, especially females, creating, maintaining and changing their 'look' is FUN! I spent a good hour or two touring the Black Fair 2013 last night getting a load of new fashion demos to try (could have done it in half the time if the sim wasn't so laggy). I'll spend another pleasant hour trying them on tonight and making decisions on whether to buy or not.

I see you're male though so one new look, one hair style and one new set of clothes may very well see you through four years of SL or even longer. :smileywink:

Anyway, get loads of skin, shape, hair and fashion demos from Marketplace or in-world stores. Drag all the folders you've obtained into one main folder and call it 'New Look'. Rez any boxes you got and drag the folders into 'New Look' too then delete the boxes. Create sub-folders inside 'New Look' for Shapes, Skins, Hair, Clothes and any other category you got. All this will keep your Inventory neat and tidy while you decide. Now start trying them on and immediately trash any that you don't like. Keep any you think may be keepers or undecided on and then go back and try them again and again. Keep whittling your selections down, trashing the least liked ones, until you're left with the look you like best. Buy them. Simple :)

• Like 2

Here is a VERY short course.  Read the guides and tutorials the others have pointed you to for the fine details.

You have a lot of "starter avatars" in your inventory.  You can find them by clicking the inventory button (with a symbol like a suitcase) and opening the folder Library/Clothing/Initial Outfits.

You can change into any of these avatars by right clicking one's folder and choosing Replace Outfit.  Or drag the folder onto your avatar.

You can open an avatar's folder and wear individual pieces of that outfit.  Right click a piece and choose Wear, or drag it onto your avatar.

You detach clothing in one of two ways.  If it is a clothing layer (symbol of pants, or shirt, or jacket etc. in your inventory), right click your avatar and choose Take Off/Clothing/<clothing type>.  If it is an attachment (symbol of a cube in your inventory), right click the item and choose Detach. 

If you Wear an item of clothing that's the same type as what you have on, it will replace the current worn item.  Things that attach to the same point will replace an attached item on that point.  You can override these behaviors by using the function Add instead of Wear.

You can also search for "WORN" items in your inventory.  They will appear in boldface, and have the word WORN in their description.  You can take off or detach them from there, too.

You can alter your shape, if it is modifiable.  Right click your avatar, choose Appearance/Edit My Shape, and play with the many sliders.  Don't mess with the hair sliders, leave them at zero.  Be sure to save your changes with a new name.  If you are not good at creating an attractive shape, there are many freebie shapes, and ones for sale, out there.

There are four "essential" pieces that everyone MUST wear at all times, to define their avatar.  You can't take these off, only replace them by wearing a different item of the same type.  These are shape, skin, eyes, and system hair.

Most of your starter avatar skins have the underwear permanently painted directly on the skin.  You can't take it off, but you CAN find a freebie nude skin and use that instead, or buy a skin.

• Like 2

Many. It is. We all did.  Your way is hard and frustrating.

I do understand your title though, ;ots of people are pissed off; they tend to fall into two groups:

1. People who are pissed off that Second Life isn't really simple and that they have to learn how to use it.
  2. People who are pissed off at people who are pissed off that Second Life isn't really simple and that they have to learn how to use it.

There IS a steep learning-curve when you start SL.  10 minutes spent with a helper organisation (NCI, Caledon Oxbridge, etc.) will explain more that 3 hours of struggling on your own.

Zanqu,,

All the responses are spot on regarding your issue about selecting and coordinating clothing, especially for a woman.

To answer your broader question - YES there are loads of Instructional Guides and YouTube videos that will teach you all the ins & outs of life in SecondLife.

To start with, look at the top of the page there replies are displayed in. There are 4 tabs labeled:

Answers  |  FORUMS  |  BLOGS  | KNOWLEDGE BASE

Allow yourself the luxury of just browsing then many articles and topics in the KNOWLEDGE BASE. Throughout each are additional links to other topics of interest.

Learning how to learn is the toughest thing you'll encounter when experiencing SecondLife. Once you get the hang of using the various resources and master the use of keywords in the search windows you'll find SL a much easier place to play and learn.

:)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3907 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.