Another viewer comparison

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3914 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As my main 'puter is with the technician, because it is randomly restarting (and no, it is not memory nor overheating), I am stick with my old CrapBook: Acer Travelmate 4070

Grid: Second Life

Built with MSVC version 1600

You are at 283161.1, 279818.2, 22.3 in Phearsom located at sim10332.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.50.54:13001)
Second Life RC LeTigre 13.07.26.279129
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.00GHz (1999.97 MHz)
Memory: 1015 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600) compatibility mode. real ver: 6.0 (Build 2900)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel 915GM
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4764
OpenGL Version: 1.4.0 - Build 7.14.10.4764

Viewer SSE Version: SSE2
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0g zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.5.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.08
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)

Trying to be inworld, at least to say Hi to friends, I tried 3 viewers. Today I compared them.

In all, Graphics at minimum, same settings in preferences (as far as posible), no other program running, wearing a single regular clothing (blouse and shorts), no AO. Still, same place, facing at the same point. After the world was completely loaded, I looked at FPS, and memory usage.

The results:
Singularity:
FPS ranging from 5.1 to 5.3
Memory used 459MB, maximum of 487MB

Cool:
FPS, 3.8-4.2
Memory, 408MB, 613MB max

Firestorm:
FPS, 3.8-4.0
Memory, 464MB, 479MB max.

If the results are consistent, Singularity achieved 20% more FPS than the other two. Memory usage don't seem to be a problem, at least in short time, maybe after a while a bigger difference can occur.

Interesting. I just replaced my old laptop with a less old one. I hadn't planned on even bothering trying to use it with SL but I did notice it had better onboard graphics than I expected. It's quite an improvement over the old one in CPU, RAM, and OS, and the old one was able to struggle along on 1.23 back when I first started.

I think I might load Singularity on it and give it a try. It would be fun to be able to jump inworld now and then when I'm traveling, even if I can't go full blast on graphics.

Thanks for the information. :-)

I have been using Singularity since the newest v of Firestorm came out, and I have also had to use the LL viewer to apply the new materials. For me on my iMac, Singularity is MUCH faster than the LL viewer (which I would not use no matter how fast it was in any case). Singularity has a few buggy things, as do all viewers, but I am very glad to have this option. 

Very interesting to see those frame rate comparisons.

Prior to getting a new PC I was getting around 3.8 fps with pre-mesh Phoenix when I was at "land level" of my parcel, which is on a water sim surrounded by neighbors with every sort of scripted wave, fish, bird, etc. one can imagine.  Now with my new PC and still just onboard graphics (I had a nVidia GeForce 5700LE on the old PC) I'm getting 51 fps in the same location *with* settings on mid-high with Singularity!

The LL viewer literally makes me ill; I also tried FS in Phoenix mode but that still gave me a headache.  I honestly hadn't heard much about Singularity until I read a thread at SLU for Phoenix users to post which viewer was closest in style, features & performance to Phoenix; Singularity kept coming up again and again.  I'm *very* glad I came across that post. :)

Ive had nothing but grief since the new SSB came into effect.  I used to use Exodus viewer because it ran so smooth for me, after the SSB it was very chunky when I turned around and my FPS would drop from 35 FPS to the floor.  I tried other viewers but they were worse.  Thank god I saw this post and tried singularity because it runs smooth on my PC, screaming along at about 55 fps with no funky lockups when I turn :) hugs!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3914 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.