Moving through solid walls at high speed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"I haven't tested myself, but the person I made them for gave me the results."

Troubleshooting? Assume nothing. Trust no one. Hmmm, you never heard that one, Kwak?

I have been making vehicle-based action games for many years in SL, this problem has ONLY begun since the introduction of MESH cars, there was never any kind of problem like this before that time.

I challenge anyone to show me a prim/sculptie car that interpenetrates and gets stuck in any type of prim/sculptie barrier or any other prim/sculptie objects at all. MESH? Give me 10 seconds and my vehicle and I will be flopping around helplessly, interpenetrated with a wall.

I am not against MESH, pffft, that would be silly. I am just one of the many game-builders who are exasperated with the poor perfomance of physical MESH objects in SL. There is no solution to this, Merchants will continue to upload great-looking but completely dysfunctional car bodies and we will all continue to be exasperated by them. That's life, let the buyer beware and expect that many of these purchases will end up in your deleted folder permanently.

Jer Straaf wrote:

"I haven't tested myself, but the person I made them for gave me the results."

Troubleshooting? Assume nothing. Trust no one. Hmmm, you never heard that one, Kwak?

Let me rephrase.

I haven't tested thoroughly.

The person I made the car and track for has tested it thorougly, afterall that person is the one who's going to use the object, so it has to be built to their standards, not mine.

Of course I've tried different setups and I posted the results. "Mesh" is something you see on your screen, it's not something the Havoc engine sees. The Havoc engine sees boxes, cylinders, spheres, hulls and triangles. You should design anything physical with that in mind. Worst case scenario is making the vehicle's appearance in mesh, then making the physical shape with a couple of prim boxes. According to your findings, it would be impossible to get stuck then.

I'm not questioning your experiences, I am questioning how many different vehicle physical setups you've tested. I have tried triangluar based, analysed hulls and complete hulls, set by the edit menu. Bits that stick out, like wheels, I set to "None", making it impossible to get stuck on those. Impossible to get stuck would be one hull, that's just how the physics engine works. The physical shape of such a setup is pretty poor, but you don't need many hulls to represent a shape close to that of the visible car and if those hulls intersect, it should be impossible to get stuck just the same.

Anyway, I haven't been able to get the car I made get stuck in any convex hull or prim wall, believe me, I've tried.

My guess is most cars in SL are simply made with too many elements and too many gaps.

• 8 months later...

Imagin Illyar wrote:

I've recently discovered the joy of motorcycles in SL
:)
 I have a great track that has solid transparent walls to keep you from going off the sides.  It works great at low speeds but I've noticed that when you go fast eneough you can go right through them and then actually get your bike trapped by them.  To test I set up some ordinary solid walls on an empty building platform and tried thick, thin, doubled and even trippled solid walls - at high eneough speeds I can go right through them.

Is this some kind of limitation of SL?  
Anyone know of a work-around for this problem?  

Come to think of it, with the aforementioned emDash HUD I'm using, I've noticed it becomes harder to dash thru an object, the thicker it is. So, maybe you could pad/overlay your walls with (100% alpha) prims, that are like 50m 'deep', as it were (and ensure the ultra-thick support wall is the first thing they touch upon collision).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.