SL Eating Objects?

Caius Septimus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I've been scouring the forums lately to see if there were any other reports of this, but as of the last few weeks (don't remember when the first instance was) I've noticed that SL has been eating objects I set out.

Most recently, I tried to lay out a nice--expensive--rug given to me by a friend, and after just a few seconds while the scripts initialized, it disappeared. It wasn't returned to me--not in my lost and found, my trash, or anywhere else in my inventory. I brought in the parcel/sim owner to see if they could find the object, but it was nowhere to be found.

Just a few moments ago, I tried setting out a picture frame. The same thing happened, except this time I may have discovered the source: I had forgotten to turn on my land group tag. I got the error saying I don't have permission to rez objects and the picture frame was removed from in-world. But lo and behold, it was not returned to my inventory. Not my lost and found, not my trash, nowhere. I spoke with the land owner again and it's nowhere.

What is going on? I've never had a problem with objects being returned to me when I accidentally forget to flip on my group titles. Now I'm out one very expensive rug and a picture frame with sentimental value.

Is anyone else experiencing this? What could cause this? What recourse is there for me to get my items returned or at least compensation in the case of the rug (the picture frame was pricess)?

Unfortunately, nothing is completely safe from accidental deletion in SL, so if your No Copy objects disappear, you could be out of luck. If you're lucky, your objects may come back to your Lost & Found folder after you log out & log in again.

If it's something you bought recently and you know who the creator was, you may be able to have them send another copy, but if it was transferable, they probably won't.

Sometimes a region reset can eat recently rezzed objects too, in which case you may be able to ask SL support for a rollback to get them back.

I have seen this recently.  I had two pose stands with poses rezzed and a couple of prims for light sources.  These had been out for maybe a year or two in that location so not a case of a recently rezzed item lost in a region update/rollback scenario.

None of these items came back to lost and found.  I have no idea what happened :/

Most of the time when a no-copy item fails to rezz for some reason it will appear to disappear from  your inventory but it will come back to its original location when you re-log. I HAVE seen some things just flat-out vanish though.

Also it can sometimes take quite a while - literally a day or two - for some things to find their way into your lost-and-found if that's where they're headed. Keep checking.

it's something to do with the way the game was programmed. It's far worse ont he more experimental open sim platform. Where yo u can be building something and poof gone in a second right before your eyes... I've seen that happen in sl but way more frequent on opensim. It may still show up but That's why i don't like no copy items. :/ I'm always afraid to rezz them for fear they may vanish forever. ';/

• 1 year later...

The same thing just happend to me a dance ball, i forgot my tag, it came into inventory. Put my tag on and released it and it was eaten? SL that was lots of dances, no lost and found after restarting. now my area is going down for so called degrgation in my area, yes there was no dance ball after I just updated it!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.