Gradient gets messed up?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3937 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thanks for your replies!

I always use 1024x1024 textures to try make sure everything is the same in SL as when editing in PS.

The tree-ring effect also shows on a flat surface (see pic), but it's far less crudely visible when the sun-position setting is not on mid-day - although still visible (second pic).

Forum_v1.jpg

Forum_v2.jpg

Judging by your replies I guess no one has had this happen before?

Thanks a lot!

/Jay

Do you really need to worry about this barely visible effect on the inside of the helmet that nodoby is going to see more than a slight glimpse of anyway? I would have tought this was the place to minimise polygons and texture size to avoid excessive gpu resource consumption. Seriously, I had to copy the pics and up the gamma before I can see the rings at all.

The banding on the outside is much more obvious. Is it smooth shaded? If so, this could be a known problem with SL ambient occlusion which occludes convex corners on cylinders. I have only seen that on bigger cylinders before though. If you aren't using smooth shading, then you could use it to remove that banding and save polygons and LI as well.

• Like 1

Aquila: thanks! I see : ) I think the problem with my texture also has to do with the size of the brush I used (which was quite large for that particular shadow): the larger the brush, the bigger the rings. Anyhow, I've been working on this texture further and it's not so much of a problem now. Still curious what causes the loss of detail though : )

Drongle: thanks for your input! I agree the bands are both ugly and an unnecessary use of GPU. The reason why I've not gotten to a proper use of 'smooth shading' yet is because I simply don't understand how to apply it properly : ) That is my next subject of research though - I just like to take it one thing at a time. 

Thanks!

/Jay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3937 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.