Newest Newby-mesh vs. other complete avatar

tinaplick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

All,

I just joined and download SL. So far, I still on the initial island with the initial clothes and avatar. I have not had much time to get on (download and then get busy with other things). I will be expecting to buy an avatar with the look I want (similar to my look). I understand that avatars now come in "mesh" or not mesh. Are there pros and cons to mesh avatars? When you buy an avatar does it look real, that is, look like a real nude female with nipples and hair "down there" or is it like the initial avatars - corset style underwear you can't take off that covers more than even conservative bathing suites?

Basically, I am looking for a realistic normal female, late 20's. I am not looking for anything to do with warcraft or science fiction.

Soon, I will be buying clothes, and I will probably be back looking for opinions.

Tina

Sure, a good mesh designer could make very realistic mesh avatar with correct proportions - and with all the bits and pieces when unclothed.

There are some mesh avatars available. Unfortunately those complete mesh avatars what I have seen do not have very realistic proportions. I would start with the default SL avatars - until somebody makes a very good realistic mesh avatar.

Buy some skins, hairs, clothes. Adjust the shape to you liking - or buy one if adjusting the shape seems difficult in the beginning.

There is a huge selextion of garments, skins, hairs and accessories for the SL avatar.
For mesh avatars the selection for those is very limited so far - and possibly will remain so for a long, long time.

Coby,

Thanks. A question:

"For mesh avatars the selection for those is very limited so far - and possibly will remain so for a long, long time."

Does a mesh avatar require you to have special clothes? Mesh colthes?

Thanks,

Tina

tinaplick wrote:

Does a mesh avatar require you to have special clothes? Mesh colthes?

Thanks,

Tina

Yes, mesh avatars do require skins, clothes (either painted on ones or mesh clothes) specifically made for that particular mesh avatar. And those will be only good for that mesh avatar they are made for. So we cannot buy mesh avatar from one designer and then go to other designer and buy skins and clothes from there. They are not compatiple. So if we buy mesh avatar, we have to buy skins and clothes from the same designer who made the mesh avatar. So that limits the choises a lot.

For SL avatar we have vast (huge in fact) collection of things where to buy things. We can buy skins from one place, clothes from other place, shoes from a third place. They are always compatiple with SL avatar. It does not matter who made them.

actually Avie 2.0 by uti and the zero style mesh anime avatar include a bunch of built in alpha layers that make it able to wear a lot of diffrent normal avi mesh clothing by many diffrent creators. Granted it can't wear everything and if your not into the anime look then this isn't for you but it is one solution if you want all mesh and want to wear clothing by a bunch of diffrent designers.

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

actually Avie 2.0 by uti and the zero style mesh anime avatar include a bunch of built in alpha layers that make it able to wear a lot of diffrent normal avi mesh clothing by many diffrent creators. Granted it can't wear everything and if your not into the anime look then this isn't for you but it is one solution if you want all mesh and want to wear clothing by a bunch of diffrent designers.

I would still not recommend mesh avatars to people new to SL, because they cost more and they limit the choices of clothing extremly.

Thanks everyone, for your comments. I think I will stick to non-mesh avatars. In RL I like to buy different clothes, mix and match, and decide when I am getting dressed which cami looks best with which jacket; which top goes with which skirt or pants etc. I assume that will be the same on SL. It looks like I will have the most flexibility with non-mesh avatars.

I still haven't had much time on SL yet. I am away from home using my small laptop, SL is downloaded on my desktop.

I have a lot of questions about clothes, I will ask them on the fashion section.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

I would still not recommend mesh avatars to people new to SL, because they cost more and they limit the choices of clothing extremly.

I suppose thhat's true. I only use those avies once and a while nice as tehy are. a mesh head if you want a mesh avie is a good choice though still pricey. Actually avie 2.0 isn't to expensive.

Hi, welcome to SL. It takes time to find the right things to build your avatar with so take your time and try a lot of demos. When you visit stores inworld, many offer free gifts and some of them are free skins and shapes. Most of them are worth much less than they cost but we have found a couple of good skins from lesser known stores. When you visit a store inworld, check out its smaller neighbours. When you find a usable skin, you can use it with the basic avatar shapes you have and this eliminates the basic avatar "corset style underwear." You can actually build a good avatar this way and it will serve you until you find the avatar or components you want to purchase.

Even when you buy a good shape and skin you will have to upgrade various parts particularly the feet if you plan to go barefoot. Sadly I have yet to find an avatar which includes the lower parts. It is always distressing to change clothes and notice a body part missing, I am still not used to that. Females have it a bit better there, even if a male buys a **bleep**, you have to hide it or it will show over your clothes so when you change it is hidden and you still are missing a body part.

Note to Linden Labs: Proper anatomical nomenclature is not a **bleep**. Please grow up and treat your members as mature individuals to encourage them to act in a similar manner.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.