Open GL crashing , driver stoped responding to everyone in region then crash

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK, so yesterday I was at a venue and suddenly it got seriously laggy and then my driver stoped responding, windows tossed me an error. my SL client shut down (at the time firestorm) so I rebooted used SL viewer after about 4 min in same sim same thign happend. Hard crash had to reboot my pc driver stoped responding, so I signed off SL and said F it.

Today I am again at a venue and been there for some time no issues, then suddenly BANG video driver stoped responding, SHUT DOWN (again FS) rebooted reloged into SL view BANG ther it is again.

I have not had this happen in YEARS ... is this an exploit because to my amazement ALL OF US THERE had it happen.

Has SL opened up some way for us to be exploited with all the "new" crap they are handing us?

Tarina Sewell wrote:

OK, so yesterday I was at a venue and suddenly it got seriously laggy and then my driver stoped responding, windows tossed me an error. my SL client shut down (at the time firestorm) so I rebooted used SL viewer after about 4 min in same sim same thign happend. Hard crash had to reboot my pc driver stoped responding, so I signed off SL and said F it.

Today I am again at a venue and been there for some time no issues, then suddenly BANG video driver stoped responding, SHUT DOWN (again FS) rebooted reloged into SL view BANG ther it is again.

I have not had this happen in YEARS ... is this an exploit because to my amazement ALL OF US THERE had it happen.

Has SL opened up some way for us to be exploited with all the "new" crap they are handing us?

If it happened to everyone there it is very likely someone is using a graphics crasher.

You could try these debug settings to reduce the problem.

I have not personally used them and can't vouch for them but others have.

http://thegreenlanterns.wordpress.com/2013/05/12/debug-settings-to-make-graphics-crashers-obsolete/

Tarina Sewell wrote:

Thank you Perrie, i will look that over.

Your welcome.

I had asked in this thread (pops) how one might identify someone using a crasher.  It was suggested that watching Avatar Render Weight (I think it's enabled in the advanced menu) might help ID the culprit.  You'd be looking for someone who's weight climbed off the scale, probably hegher than 300,000 units.

I'd sure love to know if this works.

Hello Tarina,

As saying goes welcome to SL. Yes what you are experiencing is happening to me as well. And I expect many more. I also using Firestorm latest release. Also I have NVIDA 660 Ti latest graphics driver. Ever since LL started this sever side baking it has wrecked havoc on my graphics. No one has given us any explanation of where the best settings will be for this roll out. I question some of the old settings now that the server is taking over some of what the viewer was doing. Some of these are:

Avatars    Avatar Imposter   Hardware Skinning  All of these are used by viewer to "enhance" avatar. How do these work with new sever side operation? Also what about the "bridge" that attaches to all avatars in Firestorm? What happens with this now new baking is implemented?

I have tried many adjustments to graphics and have yet to find one that gives stability. I am afraid this will take some time to work out IF it can be. I am not sure LL has thought this through but then again it maybe a way of removing 3rd party viewers from SL. I have yet to try Lindens viewer have not used for over 3 years but if this continues one may have to to see if this gives better stability in SL. I truly wish that this will be last BIG change in SL for while and Linden will gives us all a break to really enjoy this experience of Second Life. I wish all here good luck on this adventure "to improve" the experience of SL. Hello? Linden are you listening.. Hello?... Darn crashed again.....

Hello Perrie

You have an interesting point. Is is possible that someone can overload ones graphics? Yes I have seen this happen. I think Firestorm has added a feature that limits some of this. Preferences/Firestorm/Protection. Another aspect I have noticed is Avatar Render Weight. In the past I used to look at "cost" to Render my avatar to the server. Advanced/Performance Tools/ Show Render Weight.  Now I notice a BIG change in this value. Before values were somewhere in the Tens of thousands at highest. Now the title has changed. It now shows..Textured_and_Downloaded. And the values have gone way up! I see values in the Hundreds of thousands! Highest so far is 662866 and counting! What do these higher values mean? Exactly what is it that has increased this by a factor of 10! And as I stated in other post here how does this effect the Viewer side rendering and graphics settings of ones Viewer? I would hope that the Magicians of LL would give us some feedback on this so we may find a better experience here in SL.

I don't know, but to me it sounds like a classic case of your video card overheating. Which may not be due to a 'griefer' at all.  It could just be more in the sim to draw than your computer can handle.

I would suggest getting this utility:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/ 

It's a video card system monitor.

Go to the Sensors page so you can see the GPU Temperature.  Then run SL and watch the temp in normal sims, and then compare to the temp in that particular sim. I suspect you'll find it's highly elevated in that sim for some reason.

Darien Caldwell wrote:

I don't know, but to me it sounds like a classic case of your video card overheating. Which may not be due to a 'griefer' at all.  It could just be more in the sim to draw than your computer can handle.

I would suggest getting this utility:

It's a video card system monitor.

Go to the Sensors page so you can see the GPU Temperature.  Then run SL and watch the temp in normal sims, and then compare to the temp in that particular sim. I suspect you'll find it's highly elevated in that sim for some reason.

Note that she said that  ALL the people on the Sim had crashed.

One thing you have not considered is that a serious memory leak may have developed either in SL or Firestorm and that this is leading to the crashes.  We have seen those in both viewers and in SL server programs before and from what I have seen, since the introduction of SSB memory use has gone up trementdously along with allocated memory, and that since the last restart the problem has gotten worse than ever.  I would suggest people look in this direction and that LL,  assuming it really cares about such things do the same, for at the rate things are going it is obvious there is a serious problem somewhere.  What is certain is that with them number of people experiences these crashes it is not a problem with out couputers or video cards overheating, not quite likely is it a network problem, unless the entire web has suddenly developed huge problems.

This sounds like a graphics card issue to me.

I occasionally overclock my card. When I overclock it too much, especially if I up the voltage on the card,  I get the samething the OP is talking about. Sanme effect, same error message.

Yestersay it happened several times but my card was overclocked by a very small percentage so I guess it could be an issue with sl or the viewer.

WHat kind of GPU do you have?

No, it's a common griefer attack, alright. 

TruthSeeker Tracy wrote:

This sounds like a graphics card issue to me.

I occasionally overclock my card. When I overclock it too much, especially if I up the voltage on the card,  I get the samething the OP is talking about. Sanme effect, same error message.

Yestersay it happened several times but my card was overclocked by a very small percentage so I guess it could be an issue with sl or the viewer.

WHat kind of GPU do you have?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.