Dropped Group Messages / Inventory Offers?

Sera Lok

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm posting this here because I'm mostly trying to find out if it's just me or a bug that has resurfaced, and I know my fellow merchants often get as much offline mail and notifications as I do.

Twice in the last couple of weeks, I've logged into SL after being offline for a few hours to find the offline group msgs and inventory offers are just /gone/. There are group notices in my emails, and offers from scribos, etc. so I know there are things waiting for me when I log in.

Today I logged in to find nothing but personal IM's that had been sent offline. No group popups, no inventory offers for me to accept. 

The last time this was happening regularly, it was a bug, and you could relog and actually get the missed messages and offers.  Now, I relog and nothing happens. I never get the missed group notices or inventory offers.

Has anyone else been experiencing this lately?  I'm trying to figure out if it's my connection or something bigger.

Thanks for any input you can give ^^

-Sera

You get capped at 25 items.  That includes IM's sent to email, notecards, inventory offers and group notices.  So its possible you could be getting 25 IM's that go to email, then lose the other things.

Luckily with groups you can look in the notice history and get what you missed, including any attachments.

If however you haven't been sent 25 things it should be there for you when you log in.  If its not, then you have a problem.  I haven't noticed this myself so if it is a bug it may not be effecting everyone. 

the bigger the group the less people receive the message.

if you get the message out to 1000 people that was a succesful job.

My Customer Group has 9700 active members and I know for a fact that nobody on a third party viewer receives a group notice when they are offline. People with the SL Viewer are more likely to receive them. I have tested this for nearly a year with friends and customers and most of them don't receive a group message even when they are online. The best way to do it is to repeat the message for all time zones and even if you do that over an entire weekend 1/4th of your group will never know about this message.

Thanks for the replies Whirly and Steph, neither of them hit the mark for what is happening to me, I think. I am watching the bug though, I haven't ruled it out.

Steph, I am well aware of group notices from large groups not going out at all, in that case I would not receive an offline IM about it, but in this case I did, and I lost inventory offers as well, so that doesn't quite fit.

I'm still not sure whether this is SL Server or my ISP, seeing as how I've been having weird issues in SL such as needing to wait an extended period of time before an object that I have taken a copy of actually appears in my inventory... but that is another story :) 

I've also been having some sporadic packet loss issues that I can actually verify, so I'm going to blame this one on my ISP. It makes sense that SL would try to send the info to my viewer, but if my internet isn't strong enough at that important moment, it just drops it and I don't get some things.

Thanks!

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

You get capped at 25 items.  That includes IM's sent to email, notecards, inventory offers and group notices.  So its possible you could be getting 25 IM's that go to email, then lose the other things.

Luckily with groups you can look in the notice history and get what you missed, including any attachments.

If however you haven't been sent 25 things it should be there for you when you log in.  If its not, then you have a problem.  I haven't noticed this myself so if it is a bug it may not be effecting everyone. 

SORTAAAA LUCKY... as it has now been over a year that the bug exists in the SL Grid where group notice attachments are broken many times - regardless i the notice is sent to you while you are online or after you log in and go to the Group's notice tab and try to open the attachment.  It will just shade out and not offer you the attchment.

This bug has been EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING and has even changed a lot of the dynamics of how many club, venue, store notice posters use group notices... i.e. if you are going to attach a LM... it would be very wise to also include the SLURL in the text of the notice since many of the receivers cannot open the LM attachment.

This bug has been reported countless times and LL is fully aware of it... but it is just not a priority for them to fix.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.