Need Help Solving "The Mysterious Case Of The Disappearing Words."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4014 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

disapearing 1.JPG

disapearing 2.JPG

Disappearing 3.JPG

disapearing 4.JPG

disapearing 5.JPG

diasapearing 7.JPG

disapearing 8.JPG

disapearing 9.JPG

I know, it is a lot of screen shots, but I am trying to be thorough.

I am experiencing words disapearing in local chat.  I first noticed this about a week ago.  A word would disappear in local every time I hit 'enter.'  And no one around me would see the word either.  Right now I have three words I have this happening with:  Dive, Style, and Speed.

I normally use Firestorm with RLV enabled so at first I thought maybe it was a problem with this so I disabled it but still had the problem.  So I switched to the Official Viewer and the problem is present there also.  (The screen shots above are done with the Official Viewer.)

As you can see in the above screen shots, I am typing the words in the text box but after I hit enter they disappear.  But what is also odd, if I type two or three of them, only the first one disappears (bottom two screenshots).

I have no troubles with Private Messages.

I've never heard of a problem like this before so any help will be appreciated.

That behavior looks like what happens when gestures are active, and set to trigger on those words.

One way to fix it is to find those gestures and deactivate them.

Another fix would be to edit the gestures, and put the orignal words in as replacement text, so you can leave them active.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

That behavior looks like what happens when gestures are active, and set to trigger on those words.

One way to fix it is to find those gestures and deactivate them.

Another fix would be to edit the gestures, and put the orignal words in as replacement text, so you can leave them active.

I only have five or six gestures active and those are not the triggers, but I will double check when I get In World again.  Thanks!

Alan Quartet wrote:

Are you by any chance using a swimming AO or HUD?

The timing of this starting fits with the timing of me getting a swim AO.  I have only used it a couple of times and its been at least a week since I last did.  I do not leave it worn/attached by default.

But the words I am having trouble with do make sense in this context.

Do you know more regarding this?

Alan Quartet wrote:

Sorry, I don't know any more. It was just a wild guess based on the particular words that were causing trouble.

And it was a good guess, Alan.

Perrie, it could be that the folder containing the AO also contained some gestures. I recall this happening to me long ago. If I recall correctly, gestures will be loaded if you copy a folder of things containing them onto your avatar. "Detach All" won't get rid of them, as they're not really attached.

Alan Quartet wrote:

Sorry, I don't know any more. It was just a wild guess based on the particular words that were causing trouble.

I'll have to say that was a pretty good guess.  It may have never occured to me. 

Kudos to you!

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Gestures to control the swimming scripts. (Scripts can't intercept chat on their own like that, except for the case of RLV that you already ruled out.)

I will be taking a very close look at the Swim A/O.

I don't remember it including gestures. 

It was a gift so I never read the discription on the Market Place and the HUD was pretty self explanatory so if there was a help card I never read it.  All the functions operate via HUD.

Right now it looks like RL is going to be keeping me out of SL tonight so it may be tomorrow before I get back to this.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Alan Quartet wrote:

And it was a good guess, Alan.

Perrie, it could be that the folder containing the AO also contained some gestures. I recall this happening to me long ago. If I recall correctly, gestures will be loaded if you copy a folder of things containing them onto your avatar. "Detach All" won't get rid of them, as they're not really attached.

I always copy to Inventory.

I'm very sensitive about what touches my Martian skin.

But yes, I will be looking again at active gestures.

Orca Flotta wrote:

Do you know more regarding this?

I know there is no water on mars.

and you know this how?

Orca Flotta wrote:

So what for could you possibly need a swim HUD?

So I can swim with the Earth Females while I'm here.  There is nothing so scintillating as watching their beautiful breasts bobbing buoyantly in the waves.

It really was clever of Alan Quartet to suggest a swimming AO. I was just looking at the individual words and the part about how you could use all three and just 'say' the second two. His brain made him wonder what those three particular words had in common. Of course, once he suggested that it seemed like the obvious solution (was, in fact) but it hadn't even crossed my mind until I read that post.

Alan, if you're still listening I think you should make yourself a new group title (if you don't already have it): Alan Quartet, Consulting Detective.

I'm curious about whether your choice of names was intended to be reminiscent of Allan Quatermain. It was for me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4014 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.