Alpha Help Please D:

Alustriela

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3969 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Exactly as the title says.. I have been searching for an hour cause I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a link to a box of alphas on the mp at some point. Now when I need it, can't find it here, or on the market :(  I bought a pair of shorts that are soooo cute! Unfortunately the alpha is crap. My.. um, upper thighs.. show through the bottom :smileysurprised: 

Hellp meeee 

Thank you, I did come across those alphas :) I think there was a forum person who made them (*the multi pack thing I was searching to begin with), and had posted it at one point.  

The saddle bags aren't the problem this time. This alpha was maybe made for a very short skirt instead of shorts? I'm not sure, but it is the inner upper thigh sticking through, it makes it looks like I have a woman part sticking through the crotch of the shorts lol

*edited in

This is exactly the reason why there are calls for the original texture for the alpha map to be included such that people can more easily make minor adjustments.

If you can't find one that works, you can make your own alpha texture with something like Photoshop or Gimp (free).

One way of doing it quite easily is to first download avatar UV templates from here http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL-Tuts/SLPages/AVUVTemplates.html

At the bottom of the link is a location inworld where you can get a "UV suit", it's just a skin using the UV templates.

Wear this suit and your mesh clothing.

Open the templates for upper and lower body layers in your graphics program.

You've now got an easy 3D reference of the layout on your avatar and how that compares to the 2D flat template in your graphics software.  

Now just add a black layer on top of the template and change the opacity so that you can still see the template below.

At this point you can erase the part on the black layer where you want transparency.  Choices are using the erase tool, pen tool, mask, whatever you know or care to use here, i'm not going to attempt to tutorial that particular method, YouTube/Google have plenty on that.

When you've finished, set the opacity of the black layer back to 100 and delete the template layer.  All you want here is a layer with black and transparent.

Resize this to 256x256 (you don't need a 1024x1024 alpha mask!) and save as PNG.

Upload to SL and create an alpha layer in inventory, edit and choose your mask.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3969 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.