Friend shows online on dashboard but not on mysecondlife.com

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is weird. I have a friend who shows online on the dashboard and on the viewer but not on my secondlife.com. In fact, I don't even show at all under his people list on mysecondlife.com. Does anybody have any idea what's on here?

I didn't even realize there was an 'online' list on my.secondlife.com. I wouldn't make too much of the problem, though.

The Feed is notorious for having odd issues: disappearing posts, user profiles getting mismatched (people have found they suddenly have the profile pic and bio of a completely different avatar). There have also been several times when the dashboard online list did not match the inworld online list (it has happened to me more than once).

It is almost certainly nothing you are doing wrong or have set wrong: just some kind of glitch.

My point is slightly different than you assumed. I see my friend on my dashboard online. When he logs in on his mysecondlife website, I'm not even on his people list at all. I'm not talking about bring online or offline on mysecondlife.

Oh, okay. So it's not an 'online' list on the Feed, he doesn't see you in his People list (which clearly he should if you're in his Friend list and obviously you are).

I still don't think there's much for you or he personally to worry about because as I noted the Feed is decidedly borky quite often. Maybe keep an eye on Trending (if you have the patience for that) to see if anyone else is mentioning the same thing.

ETA: After I posted I did recall there might be something you could look for (I'm guessing you already have but I'll mention it anyway). There is a box you can check for each person in your 'People' list on the Feed to stop following anyone you're currently following (which by default includes everyone on your Friend list). There is also a box to check to 'Remove Follower'. I really don't know if either of those will make one or the other of you not even show up on the People list—I thought it just meant you wouldn't see their posts on your Home page—but you both might want to take a look at those settings.

Have your friend search for you in my.secondlife.com (top right), find your profile, then see if he can check the "Friend" button to add you to his people list. I'm gonna guess that some coupling between his in-word friend's list and the my.secondlife.com friend's list got goofed up, and I'll hope there's a way to fix it from my.secondlife.com.

As Dillon says, the feeds are not terribly reliable, so if this doesn't work, it might just repair itself in a few days.

Good luck!

I wouldn't worry about it. Not all of my friends show up on my my.secondlife.com friends list, either, though they show on my Dashboard and in my viewer. In my case, it seems to have cut off at 50. I've heard other people say that recently they've noticed not everyone is showing up on their lists there, so it's not just us. 

What's even odder is that one friend and I are able to send each other friend requests through my.secondlife.com, even though we are already on each others' friend lists in world and on the Dashboard. lol

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue. A friend and I each show up on our freind list in world, but not on mysecondlife.com. We have each tried to add the other multiple times for about two weeks now and it still does not work. Also, someone who unfriended me recently still shows up ony my friend list on mysecodnlife.com, but not in inworld. I finally decided to try to email Linden Labs about it, but got redirected to the support portal and have not seen any emails address yet where I could ask about the this. This thread is the only thing I have seen addressing the problem and I see no one has a remedy to offer yet, though one person mentoined a limit to the number of friends, at the moment I have I think 99 showing up in my list and I know that 3 should not be on it anymore and that 2 should be on it in all. I guess I shall just have to keep trying every week or so. Since everyhting is correct inworld, it not as important, but its still irritating and I hope whatever the issue is, that is resolved some time soon as I have been using mysecondlife a bit more in the past couple months.

I hesitate to mention this as it might only be a temporary fluctuation in the Force.

Today, the Feed is working correctly for me and for several other people who have commented. Friends added inworld in the last month or so are now in my People list. Their posts are visible to me, and mine to them. Even more spectacular, I discovered that logging in here (community.blah blah) also logs me in there! I discovered that when I went to check someones profile and was taken to my home page even though I'd not logged into my.secondlife.com yet.

It's possible the Feed is actually working!

Dillon Levenque wrote:

<snip>

Even more spectacular, I discovered that logging in here (community.blah blah) also logs me in there!

<snip>

Safety check. 

While logged in here open your feed in a new tab or window, and after it has logged you in close that tab or window.

Then log out of the Forum.

Then without closing your browser navigate to your feed and see if you are still logged in there.

This has been a bad snafu by LL.  Logging into one section of the SL Websites enables auto log in to the other sections but logging out of one section does not log you out of the others.

If you don't close your browser after logging out then someone could still access parts of your account.

I hope how I said this is clear.

I'd seen the 'undocumented feature' you mention before as regards the Forum but in the past even while being LOGGED IN on the Forum, opening a new window and going to my.secondlife.com required a log-in. I'll test the grid-wide login status stuff when I have a chance, but I'm kind of busy right now.

ETA results requested.

Tested on my personal PC running XP and IE8. Cleared all browsing history. Re-started. Logged into the Forum. Opened a second browser window and went to my.secondlife.com; arrived at my Home page already logged in. Closed that browser window.

Returned to first browser window and logged out of Forum. Got the usual 'page cannot' and selected my Home page (Google). Opened a new browser window and browsed to my.secondlife.com. I was in fact still logged in there.

To be honest,  I don't see that as an LL issue; I've seen the same sort of thing other places when I've been careless about logging out. Anyone who uses a shared computer should know to carefully log out of every place he or she goes or to use the 'delete browsing history' tool on exit.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.