Changing the look of my name

kwajkid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

You can get free or nearly free cards of ASCII characters in Marketplace if you really can't find them anyplace else. In addition to letters and numbers, you can use the following characters in your display name:

• ' (apostrophe)
  • - (hyphen-minus)
  • . (full stop)
  • : (colon)
  • · (middle dot)
  • ֊ ֊ (Armenian hyphen)
  • ֜ (Hebrew geresh)
  • ״ (Hebrew gershayim)
  • (Tibetan tsheg)
  • - (hyphen)
  • (right single quotation mark)
  • (hyphenation point)
  • = (katakana-hiragana double hyphen)
  • · (katakana middle dot)

A word of warning, however ....  Display names in funny fonts and odd characters make a lot of people very annoyed.  They can be difficult or impossible to read. If you hope to win a contest in a club, for example, you may find that the DJ refuses to try giving it to you if he can't figure out what your name is, or how to say it in chat.   LSL scripts, likewise, may have trouble reading an odd name, so some vendors or greeters may spit up.  It won't make any difference to those of us who don't ever pay attention to Display Names anyway, but you may find that even people who usually do look at Display Names will ignore yours if it's too unreadable.

• Like 4

To add to Rolig's spot on answer,

As a busy SecondLife DJ, you will have to live with me and many other DJs calling you by your user name and ignoring your display name. My hostess and I have too much to do to for all the audience at the gigs we perform at to waste time trying to figure out the [pardon my directness] ridiculous display names that have even a single odd character in them.

Feel free to have fun with this feature but don't get your ego tied up in a name made up of unusual characters unless you follow this standard for your display name:

Unusual display name characters [Display Name in normal characters]

We all are served when this standard is followed.

• Like 2

Also the use of "funny letters" can be annoying for those that actually have them in their language, know what they mean and know how they are pronounced. I was wondering for a while why some people ran around with so ugly sounding grouptags and names untill I realized they probably never took a second to think about what that funny u with the dots could be or that only because the letter looks like a b doesn't mean it is one...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.