Sim Crossings have gone bad again..?

Extrude Ragu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Linden Lags.

Untill a few weeks ago, I was able to fly sitting in my prim vehicle (plane) from the south end of the Corsica, Gaeta, Nautilus Satori, U.S.S Blake Sea Islands to the North (I've still not figured out which is which.).  Now I can cross possibly 5 sims at most in any direction, before a sim fails to load, and I shortly find myself under the floor, or unable to stand stuck in the air, getting disconnected from the game when attempting to teleport.

As an Avid Gamer and somebody who has been working as an IT Technichian for several years, I observe that this is a problem on your end, as my computers hardware and network connection (and diagnosing ping time to your servers) are more than adequet and reliable being a wired connection that is less than 10 minutes walk away from a main network exchange server. I have been very careful about testing my own computer for issues, reading around on your blogs for possible information but nope, nothing.

As a paying customer, I'd like to know what it is you are doing with my investment as of recent that is causing the issue, and will it continue..? Frankly I'm bored after several weeks of dissapointment of waiting for the storm to pass. If you are not going to shell out to maintain a reliable service, then don't expect me to shell out and continue to invest in a crippled horse..?

Technical difficulty or not, a 'sim crossing' is a feature of your game, and a feature that you are failing to provide. I'd like to know what exactly you are doing to fix it, and when I can expect it to be fixed..

Please, get it together. All things considered, Second Life is a great peice of software with huge potential, don't let it fail as a result of 'cost cutting'..

Are you implying this effects objects at all heights? And for how long has the abilitity to do such a thing been in place?

I have been flying over linden waters, IE, nearly empty sims, with nothing but water, and experiencing nothing but horror stories.

If I can't sim cross on a prim then I don't want to sim cross at all.. If we weren't meant to travel then the mainland should not be connected and shouldn't have Sim crossings at all. If someone imposing an object crossing restriction causes the LL Servers to glitch out and put me underground then something tells me that LL have made a poorly implemented 'feature'.

If this continues I'll be dropping my investment in SL. As the coastlines on SL prove, people on SL enjoy boating, and aviation. We might not represent the whole community but we are a significant part of it. I don't know about other people but I'm very close to quitting, and it's a real shame.

I agree with you completely. I was merely trying to pinpoint what could be wrong in your case. As far as I recall the option for owner or renters to reject object entry has always been there from viewer 1 on. Bear in mind, that people with less noble intentions would be able to fire countless numbers of prims over the border of a sim, causing annoyance and even crashes. I think thats why they've included that option. But your problem might also be bandwidth related. Have you tried LOWERING your bandwitdh in preferences? (just a wild guess, I've seen weirder things happen.)

Anyway, I totally agree that sim-crossing should be way more obvious then it seems to be these days.

Best of luck!

I was doing a few high-speed runs on Mainland roads today, and while sim crossings were jerky, I only had one failure in over a hundred crossings.

The vehicle you use, which is a scripted prim, can make a big difference.

This was on Linden roads, which are mostly good, though the prim road does not always match parcel boundaries, and assorted banlines can affect you.

I've made test runs before. I have data on the vehicle/route combination I was using. Since I had cleared my cache, to remedy some corrupted textures, texture loading was a big issue for the first run, but complete failures were still rare.

I am not convinced that the primary cause of the problem is Linden labs' servers. If it were, I would have seen worse than I have.

[i can recommend this motorcycle for testing. It's free and not too heavily scripted. I find this Grumman Goose to be a good aircraft on long flights.]

Just flew across maybe 43 sims, some minor issues with slow crossings over crowded parcels, eventually did have a similar problem to you when trying to spiral down for a very tight water landing and hit a no-script parcel on a neighboring sim but in general conditions were as I expected. I see no difference in sim crossings from how they've been at most times this year or indeed the last couple of years.

Equipment: Macchi M-52 seaplane built by Pinpin Peccable, Viewer 3.5.1, leisurely cable internet with less than 2mbps throughput.

[...] getting disconnected from the game when attempting to teleport [...]

That's a telling symptom. It is almost always due to one of two thing: excessive attachments (especially scripted attachments), or a local network problem (not necessarily bandwidth, and quite independent of ping time which you say is better than adequate).

Assuming you've tried sim crossings with zero attachments and are still having the problems you describe, then you may want to try power-cycling your router, modem, and any other network gear between you and the ISP's wall jack. If that helps, then the improvement may be temporary: some consumer network gear is really crap (despite brand and price), and even good networking hardware will glitch with specific combinations of ISP and software.

None of this is to say that sim-crossing in SL is worth a bucket of warm spit, but if you're actually disconnecting on teleport there's something happening to you that others experience only once in a thousand teleports or better. If you fix that, your sim-crossing experience is likely to get better, too. Still not that good, but better.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.