Do gay/bi women outnumber straight women in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

people slavishly recreating their actual Real Lives there?

No? 
In SL, I’m a ballerina, a costume designer for performances, a merchant, a balloon pilot and daily jet setter inworld. I live in a literal palace, as one residence of a few. I wear fashion that might shatter a RL budget into pieces. I make art stuff in both places and pass it back and forth, making exhibit spaces that would cost mad ducats and a staff to mount RL. 

But I made friends in kind of the same way as I do RL, hanging around places I like doing stuff I like, finding other people who like to do those things too. 

• Like 2

Second Life is the realm of Imagination. If someone chooses to re-enact RL here, that’s their choice and I respect it - but personally I believe they’re limiting their options.

Thats perfectly fine; other people don’t exist to satisfy *my* ideas and aesthetics; they should satisfy their own.

If we as a species ever acquire the knack of not Imposing Our ideas on one another, we might just survive and even be occasionally happy .....

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29e2c8612d2989d550b2

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 2:31 AM, Fauve Aeon said:

Go to places you like, do the things you like and things you really want to maybe learn to do (or appreciate) in SL, choosing the more populated of areas for doing these activities of course...and you will likely start to meet people who like some of the things you like so that’s a good way to have a genuine start to a conversation. Also, learning some basic internet etiquette is another good start...like for instance, not necroposting on threads here as a first post?

so sorry... and you’re right, I have so much to learn. 

On 1/7/2020 at 11:08 PM, KanryDrago said:

holy necropost....as to making friendships the easy answer to that is stop trying. I am being serious there. Just chat to people, don't necessarily wait for them to talk to you. Find something in a profile makes you curious....im and ask. Talk in local. Friendships are not something you can seek out they are something that happen when you are chatting to someone and find the chat keeps going

Thanks, I’ve actually tried some of your suggestions and, well, time will tell whether I’m successful or not. 

On 1/8/2020 at 6:26 AM, AmandaKeen said:

So people expect to go to a place with “your world, your imagination” as its motto and find people slavishly recreating their actual Real Lives there?

Hmmmm..........

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29a2a5077ce483cc2e3c

Even though I’m also surprised by that, I can appreciate that some persons prefer living their second lives that way. Maybe hoping to perfect their dream life?

47 minutes ago, sugarheffalump said:

Even though I’m also surprised by that, I can appreciate that some persons prefer living their second lives that way. Maybe hoping to perfect their dream life?

I truly enjoy being around people who - in SL - have used it as an aspirational experience. The folks who are here to be “better than whatever Real Life dealt them” are generally a lot of fun and very open-minded where it comes to getting along with others here.

Conversely, I’m polite to the people who seem to believe that SL should be “Digital Real Life” - but I tend not to hang around them long 🙂

Real Life tried to kill me at least once. I’m sticking with my Safe Space :-)

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29019f47dc89d3d9a297

On 5/21/2013 at 6:38 PM, Tex Monday said:

Please remember that a good number of those female avatars are probably played by men

You are exactly right, I think too many people take things at face value in Second Life. I'm just a roleplayer in Second Life, I'm gay in real life, but roleplay as a straight man (yeah everyone needs a hobby), though to be clear, I am honest about this on my profile. As a result, men playing women often reveal themselves to me and the vast majority are straight males, though I would take their names to my grave as I believe that people are free to be whatever they want in Second Life, but I do feel honesty would make them much better people.

The female to male ratio in Second Life is such that it would be naive to take all females at face value.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.