Shadow maker wanted

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello All,

I have seen a lot of photo booths, modeling stands, etc. I have tried to read through the LOD, casting shadows, and other stuff,  and it starts to get overwhelming like stereo directions.

I use the phoenix and firestorm viewers. One of my firestorms got so messed up I had to download another copy.

is there a simply way to get a slightly 3-d look and cast shadows?

I dont know what I should do as far as camera controls and then there is the enviroment editor... Should that be on sunset? or mid day? I need clean clear photos to model my stuff for sale.

Im totally lost. When i enable lighting and shadows put the graphics on Ultra I still am not getting those sexy shadows like a professional model shot!

If there is a gadjet for sale that does it Ill buy it! I know this is something I have adjust manually. Please if there is someone out there that can give me exact numbers for the settings, please please I beg of you!

Aluviel Nakamura

There is a drop down box right under the check off for lighting and shadows.  Choose Sun/Moon+Projectors so that everything casts shadows.

As for the environment, if you want to have more definitive shadows and light streaming through windows choose ether morning or right before sunset for the sun position.  Midday has the brightest lighting but very little shadow is cast or sun coming through windows when the sun is directly over head.  You can also play with the environment presets to find one that enhances your product too.  In firestorm them are in under the Quickset button or under the World menu.

All that said, a lot of sales photos you see are post processed in photoshop or gimp where you can add shadows and lighting effects.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the advice. I knew mid day wasnt so wise, however morning or sunset casts a nasty orange tone. I might open up the V3 viewer and try to find the photo and world setttings. 

I dont know why the shadows wasnt working yesterday. I had the drop box on the side checked for all three with my graphics on ultra. if anyone can make a nice modeling preset Id be willing to pay for it if it had instructions and exact numbers for the editor enviroment.

• 2 weeks later...

It's all in the windlight you choose. One of my favorites to use for shadows is by StrawberrySingh.

Here is the link with all the info on how to install windlights:

http://strawberrysingh.com/tutorials/windlight-settings/

And here is the link to download her settings:

https://www.box.com/shared/vgorvtz0qt

They are pretty good, and she has a lot of information on her site about them & how to get good photos.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.