Land Impact Versus Prims

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4059 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I wrote a little op ed piece on my blog last night about the thriftiness of mesh -- well made mesh :D. A viewer replied that her landlord's rental equipment only counts prims and not LI. Now on the things that I make (furniture, house parts etc.) which are all pretty simple there doesn't seem to be much of a difference there.

I DO know that there can be as some art contest give both prim and LI numbers that artist must stay within.

So my question is == where does that difference come in and is she really staying away from mesh for a good reason?  I am guessing not so much as I haven't noted any difference. I do know that sculpts in the new system -- especially if linked to a mesh or sometimes regular prim -- can increase in LI count and that regular (simple) prims like a cube can be .5LI if changed to convex hull.

So any info appreciated. Also, where can you tell the actual LI  and what comprises it after importing? I know there is a way to see physics costs and such but didn't take note of where it is in the viewer.

Thanks a bunch.

Chic Aeon wrote:

So my question is == where does that difference come in and is she really staying away from mesh for a good reason?

If the tool the landowner uses is really counting prims (=objects), like some old viewers do, mesh should be the perfect way to cheat the system. Depending on how many different textures you need, you can link a bunch your meshes together before upload. Even without cheating, well built mesh is usually a lot lower in landimpact with the same or less amount of unique objects.

So any info appreciated. Also, where can you tell the actual LI  and what comprises it after importing? I know there is a way to see physics costs and such but didn't take note of where it is in the viewer.

As far as I know all the V2 based viewers have a button in the edit menu, right above the tabs. It's called "More" or something and will show you all the different weights, the highest of them determines the LI. V1 based viewers do not have this function I think and will return a number of prims in the edit menu, pretty much always a completely useless number when the object is mesh.

• Like 1

LOL.

Had to smile that you used my hunt prize (or part of it anyway ) as an example. I did find what I was looking for. It comes when you hit the "more info" button in the build menu.  Pretty handy as it's difficult to remember what choices you made at times :D. See below. THAT was what I was looking for.

I think perhaps she is just WRONG about the rental box and has made assumptions. The ones that I dealt with (for a shop, not a house) counted the LI correctly even though it called them "prims" on the box.

landimpactbreakdown.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4059 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.