New Chat Viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just some feedback from my point of view......it has many new features which are good but it really makes a mess of my screen space. Maybe it will just take some getting use to but it now blocks the bottom of the screen which to me doesn't help the SL experience. Maybe someone knows of a way to switch it like it use to be?

Hi Cryss... there's really not much you can do. I've tried a few things, maybe one of those help you:

* Adjusting the transparency of that monstrous UI: ActiveFloaterTransparency and InactiveFloaterTransparency in debug settings.

* Detach chat windows as needed and collapse the remaining empty window to a small slider (i just stack IM windows on top of each other if/when needed)

I'm a bit baffled they released it as is, buggy and with all the early adopters' complaints unresolved.

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

Hi Cryss... there's really not much you can do. I've tried a few things, maybe one of those help you:

* Adjusting the transparency of that monstrous UI: ActiveFloaterTransparency and InactiveFloaterTransparency in debug settings.

Just a note that these can be adjusted in Preferences without having to delve into the black arts of debug settings.:smileyhappy:

Phil, sorry to disagree but it's nothing like the previous viewer was. It's now a solid unit that can't be shrunk to the point where it's not sprawling out on the screen. It forces you to either put it on the side so your head is constantly turning to look at conversations, or you have to put in on the bottom in the middle of the screen which totally takes away from the SL experience. You also can't go into preferences without the screen freezing briefly. It was really a poor idea to put this up so quickly.

People creating these (upgrades) need to remember that many go in SL to experience lands and places. To cut down on your viewing, no matter what the reason takes away from that.

My V3 screen looks no different with the upgrade. I separated that chat box straight away because I'm used to local chat being separate, and it behaves just like it did before. It doesn't take up more space, or if it does, it's so little extra that it certainly wouldn't generate the 'too much space' posts.

I tested the rest of the box with an IM from an alt, and the space that box takes up is no more than before. I did slide part of the box off the left of the screen to get rid of the unwanted part. What I haven't done is check it with multiple IMs but, even if it takes up more space than before with multiple IMs, it's no big deal for me because I close IMs when they conversation is finished. I honestly don't see what the problem is.

So, apart from maybe multiple IMs, there really isn't much screen space difference than before.

Well I had it and dumped it while I used it all I was able to see was eye-candy for a small percentage of the SL population.  At present it is not a mandatory update so I rolled back to prior version. I found NO value in this new viewer.

Here is something for the Lindens to think about as they now bill themselves as a commercial service provider.  I as a paid member, a yearly paid member who also pays high tier fees as well.  Would much rather see something that enhances my Second Life, not distracted from it as this viewer does.  You know what they say, "When the Customer is not Happy they start to look elsewhere".  When they look elsewhere so does their few hundred every month in fees and those who are also family members who pay high fees as well looking elsewhere.

Best to keep your customer base in mind that helps pay those bills.  This viewer in my opinion should be scrapped as it distracts from the overall Second Life experience, and Yes I am a longgg term resident.

• 1 month later...

ok just another question about the viewer, this week alone i've received two forced updated viewers. The last one which was a few days ago, keeps causing me to crash, freeze, I can't close conversations without going into a stall which sometimes causes me to crash.

I don't really mean to sound sarcastic but do you keep giving out updates till they don't work at all anymore? It's very frustrating. I understand that at some point we need to upgrade our graphics card or memory but can't we live with one version for a bit before receiving an upgrade 3 days after we got the last one?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.