HTTP-based Communications

Knowl Paine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Quote from SL release notes:

"A new scheme for performing HTTP operations is introduced with this release. It is intended to reduce crashes and stalls while performing HTTP operations and generally enable performance and reliability improvements in the future. In this release, it is being used by the viewer's texture retrieval code. Our expectation is that it will provide consistent and predictable downloading of textures. As well as the usual problem reporting, we're also interested in confirmation of improvements where this release improves your experience".

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.4.3

Can anyone tell me what the "new scheme" is?

I have been experiencing excessively high CPU usage. At times, the CPU usage spikes to 100%. The average is somewhere around 60%. Prior to the Release, my CPU usage was about 25%.

I was thinking about adding a second processor, but I'm concerned that this "new scheme" is what (may have) caused a hardware failure in my pc.

I've been visiting another site, to pass the time. I was hoping that eventually, new SL releases would address this high CPU issue. I was having the same high CPU usage at that other site, and disabling my Firewall eliminated the problem.

I was hoping that the firewall was also the problem in SL, but after just visiting SL, the high CPU issue remains.

I can add a second processor, and reconfigure the PC, it would be helpful to know what this "new scheme" is.

-snip-

They refactored the libraries that do things like fetch textures and inventories so that they don't choke the viewer like they did before. With the viewer unchoked, it would be free to ramp up the rendering work and use more CPU. An SL viewer will try to use as much CPU as it can get to keep frame rates going, so it's possible that a bottleneck was simply opened. There was nothing in that change that could cause hardware failures, if your had a hardware failure then it was on its way out already.

Some of the changes in that library aren't actually used yet, they won't kick in until some server changes, not yet released, activate them.

Threaded Optimization is one of the first things I turned off.

I've searched every "SL high CPU usage" I could find on the web. Many of the CPU usage problems relate to a Viewer being idle or minimized with high CPU usage. I have high CPU usage during normal use.

They're just cubes, it shouldn't be using 80% of my CPU to rez 1 cube in an empty sandbox.

I'm just a little upset.

I will add the second processor, update and reconfigure the pc, and if I still have a problem, I will start jumping through the Support hoops.

Thank you for all the replies.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

They refactored the libraries that do things like fetch textures and inventories so that they don't choke the viewer like they did before. With the viewer unchoked, it would be free to ramp up the rendering work and use more CPU. An SL viewer will try to use as much CPU as it can get to keep frame rates going, so it's possible that a bottleneck was simply opened. There was nothing in that change that could cause hardware failures, if your had a hardware failure then it was on its way out already.

Some of the changes in that library aren't actually used yet, they won't kick in until some server changes, not yet released, activate them.

It is an old system, yes, thousands of hours on the processors.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.