Questions about gender/sexuality bending

trixp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

This all looks a bit sub-standard in the area of research ethics. OK, I'm not inclined to click on any links to on-line surveys, and I'm not likely to answer this particular sort of question (clue: my AV is not human anyway), but I really don't know if you're who you claim you are, and that's a big obstacle.

And "a short survey on Google" doesn't give me any confidence that this is proper academic work.

Student should see: http://oor.concordia.ca/services/researchethicsandcompliance/

trixp wrote:

Fair enough! Just to clarify I'm not doing research funded through the university. This is for my own personal interest and to insite discussion with peers in an upper year anthropology class. Although I am writing a short "ethnography" for this class my intention isn't solely to disseminate gendered identities on SL. I mostly wanted to instigate conversation with other RPG players and to see how they felt about it. Because it is online, ethics get a little bit blurred. The internet is an anonymous space so ethical issues like age and cognisense can't really be judged unless you choose to tell me (the entire point of my research). 

Online does not change the ethics requirement or make them "blurry."  Please see your university's research compliance page. 

Doesn't matter whether your research is funded or not.   Doesn't matter what the purpose is (class discussion, thesis, published paper, etc) you are under the auspices of the research compliance office at your university.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.