Remote Desktop - As a teacher, I would like to demonstrate something in SL via Remote Dsktp. How?

Cameron Oxidor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I want to be able to demonstrate something to my students using Remote Desktop.  I have been unable to find if that is even possible and/or how.  I did see something ( a few years old now) at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRlM-DiZWgg (LLMedia VNC Plug-in Remote Desktop Sharing for Second Life) - but nothing more current and no real "how to" sort of tutorials or documents.  Is there a resource about thsi sort of functionality somewhere that I could review?

Appreciate the help!

Cameron

5 answers to this question

As Rolig already suggested Splashtop is a great solution. However it will need a paid version if the computer which is being used is not the main station in your local network. And to control it from other computers (apart from just 'receiving' the stream) you need the splashtop 'everywhere' pack which is also not free. Apart from that due to it being used in schoolenvironment would not fit with the free version which is for private / single person- use only.

Teamviewer is a good application as well. Downside here it doesnt work too well with transmitting Highresolution and still being able to fluidly control the remote connected computer so you would have to choose a setting optimized for speed instead of quality which might be hindering a fluid and visually good show-off.

Another good solution is l-i-v-e-s-t-r-e-a-m.com (just remove the - dashes inbetween - the forum blocks the word so i had to break it into parts)

Its free and you can even store your videos, or setup a whole streaming program, so your students could tap in at any moment even outsides from the school.

As well of course as streaming to your students what you are doing on your computer. It supports also mousepointer highlights,has complete audiosupport, you can blend in yourself via videocamera, can talk to them and even chat with them. Or of course just talk to them while streaming / demonstrating being in the same room with them.

Another good point here with this solution you or your students won't need to install  anything on the used computers. they can simply watch the streaming on your streaming webpage.

If you just want to 'demonstrate or show' something to them this might be the easier and more comfortable way to go instead of connecting all students computers via VNC and setting up the networks and controls and permissions etc.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.