Profile picture size?

Trifina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What's the optimum image size to upload for your profile picture, in terms of height and width ratio? I keep getting the image stretched.

And how about file size? I know SL compresses the image to their own format, but does it help to send a bigger file or is it better to shrink it yourself in PhotoShop?

• Like 1

There is some good information here...

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/70/215905/1.html

Basically it comes down to aspect ratio, profile pics use a 4:3 aspect ratio and SecondLife will shrink down images that are too big for you. So I would just use any image with a 4:3 aspect ratio (640x480, 800x600, etc.)

Hopefully that helps.

It really depends on what kind of profile you mean.

Web profile pictures are square  i.e. 1:1

Legacy profiles are rectangular IEEE 4:3

Firestorm, the most popular viewer, lets people choose which profile type they see, web or legacy and anyone that uses a viewer based on SL V1 or Snowstorm will see only the legacy. So some people will see it stretched out on legacy profiles, or cropped on web profiles, depending on which format you choose.  A good compromise is to put your avatar within a square in the middle of the picture but make the background 4:3 so it doesn't stretch out and distort when viewed in a legacy profile.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.