Delete an simple object from linked parts?

Muletta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

yes its possible :

edit your house

check the "edit linked part" box on the edit window. 

click on the part you want to delete (make sure you are only selecting this part and not the whole house)

click on "unlink" in your edit tab

click elsewhere for reseting your editing. 

reselect the part you have unlinked. delete.

Voila....:smileywink:

• Like 1

Rhys Goode: If I do Ctrl-shift-L to unlink, the hole house at 75 prims will "fall apart"- and I have to do shift-L 74 times afterwards to link the rest together again. I used to do that every time I had to delete a single prim from a house, and it is a enormous work.  - So that is the reason for my question :matte-motes-smile:

To all: Thank you SO much. I have now tried with a copy house, and managed to succeed. And I also found the UNLINK tab, under "object" in "edit".

Now I can spare a lot of time, and I think I soon dare to do it on "reel things".

Thanks again - you have been very helpful :matte-motes-big-grin:

Muletta wrote:

Rhys Goode: If I do Ctrl-shift-L to unlink, the hole house at 75 prims will "fall apart"- and I have to do shift-L 74 times afterwards to link the rest together again. I used to do that every time I had to delete a single prim from a house, and it is a enormous work.  - So that is the reason for my question :matte-motes-smile:

Not true.  If you have selected "Edit Link" first, then CTRL + Shift + L only unlinks the one link that you selected, exactly as Rys says.  I've been doing it that way for years.

I did not know that Rolig Loon - I wish I did. You can't imaging how much time I have spent collecting my prims again. Moaning.

So if I get you and Rys right, I can EDIT - EDIT LINKED PARTS -  click on one object/prim and go CTRL-SHIFT-L, and then the one prim will be separated from the others, and can be deleted this way too?

Yup.  Practice on something unimportant until you are confident.  Then remember that you always have the backup copy of your build -- the copy that you saved just in case you ever have a real disaster -- so there's always a way to recover if you screw up.  :smileywink:

Muletta

Sorry, you must have missed the part about selecting the particular part  or parts you want to unlink.  You have to first check the "edit linked parts" box on the edit menu.  Then you can select the part you want to edit by clicking, and if you want to select several parts, hold shift, and click on the parts you want to unlink.  Careful here, its not always easy to tell when you've selected a part, it should be highlighted, but its not alwyas easy to see.  *Then* unlink, either from the menu or the keyboard shortcut.

Sorry I did not make myself clear, I was just offereing a different way to do the same thing that the "unlink" button does, without worrying about how your browser displays this option on your menu. 

Rhys

You DID make yourself clear, and explained it well, it was me who didn't understand it the first time. But now that I have tried and succeed I will do so in the future.

I am very happy for your help, thank you all :matte-motes-smitten:

Using Shift-Click multiple selection can be a godsend if you want to rid yourself of (say) 17 prims out of s 200 prim build.

As Rhys pointed out earlier: In Edit Mode, check "Edit linked" Choose a prim, then hold Shift down as you choose the others you want to separate out from the herd. When you've got them all, clink Unlink> But here's the neat part- everything will now be selected! The newly freed prims as well as the remaining object.

Sooooo- Hold Shift down again (making sure that "Edit Linked" is NOT checked!) and click any prim in the *linked object*. That will deselect all linked prims and you'll be holding all the loose ones, which you can now delete in one swell foop. Or one could link them together, write its coords in the newly formed object notes, move them out of the way and bring them all back into place again later. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.