Mesh Hair Transparency sorting

JackRipper666

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys, I was messing with mesh hair today and working on some hair pieces so far I have some mesh hair planes overlapping each other. I'm using targa files for the hair to have alpha's. I figured out I have to duplicate these planes otherwise my faces only show on one side. So I just make two planes side by side and reverse normals on one side so it appears to have two sides instead of just one. That works fine. But I don't know where to find some kind of layering z sorting option in SL? I'm using Maya so is there away I can tell SL what layers of hair I want on top and ones I want shown underneath? Otherwise I get my top hair kinda see through where it should layer. Any help in the right direction I'd appreciate it!

Edit :: I recently tried .png files, 24bit and this seems to be fixing the see through effect is this the best way to go about it and not to use targa 32bit?

If you don't need transparency, then there's no reason to save any texture as a 32-bit image, whether it's TGA or PNG.  If you're using TGA, you should always be given the choice of 24-bit or 32-bit explicitly, so it's hard to screw up.  If you're using PNG, just be sure to use the Save for Web option if you're in Photoshop.  That will save it as 24 bits.

JackRipper666 wrote:

is there away I can tell SL what layers of hair I want on top and ones I want shown underneath? 

Short answer: Nope. You can try adding the textures in order, from furthest away to closest, but I haven't been able to get this to work.

Long answer:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Possible-work-around-for-alpha-sorting-problem/td-p/1227445

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Alpha-sorting-glitch-within-a-mesh/td-p/1109161/page/2

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Alpha-sorting/m-p/418761#M1741

Yea I now notice I'll have to rebuild my hair do my best to make it look like hair with no texture and add in only the alphas on top it seems I get no popping or weird effects as long as their is a strong base hair mesh geometry under it. Thanks for the help guys! My head hurts,... time to take some advil LOL!

Edit:: Also I noticed some things that might help others with mesh, maya has some weird issues with importing a piece of hair it's as if the scale is all bunched together, I tried deleting history, freezing transforms but if it's not rigged most likely it will bunch up and not be correct scale. So I usually import the mesh to blender and rexport just the parts I'm testing back out of blender using the collada from there. Once I do that an upload it the scale comes out correctly in world. Not sure why it does this something else that puzzles me lol.

JackRipper666 wrote:

Also I noticed some things that might help others with mesh, maya has some weird issues with importing a piece of hair it's as if the scale is all bunched together, I tried deleting history, freezing transforms but if it's not rigged most likely it will bunch up and not be correct scale. So I usually import the mesh to blender and rexport just the parts I'm testing back out of blender using the collada from there. Once I do that an upload it the scale comes out correctly in world. Not sure why it does this something else that puzzles me lol.

Jack, could you post a picture of what you're talking about?  I'm afraid "scale is all bunched together" isn't a terribly narrow description.  I'm picturing about 10,000 different things that that might mean.

Whatever the poblem is, I'm sure it's solvable.  Just need to make sure we're both talking about the same thing. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.