How can i change my draw distance to 32 or less? SL viewer

Micka Sveiss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4097 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

13 answers to this question

RenderFarClip is the correct debug setting. I played around with it just now and was able to get down to 20m. Below that. prims started disappearing that were within the chosen distance. I was within 5 m of my house walls but they disappeared at 15m for example. It was just a bit too erratic but 20m seemed stable.

• Like 1

Ah, OK. So Firestorm is apparently capping that range, possibly to keep the weird things Nyll reported from happening. I can only imagine that the OP is trying to run SL on a very substandard computer and is trying to reduce load on his GPU as much as possible. I have a friend who is on an ancient laptop and can only get 10FPS with her draw distance set to 32m. The OP may be in the same boat.

That's interesting Firestorm has the draw distance capped at 32m but yes I can see why; as Val confirmed, prims disappear at an alarming rate at low draw distances. I forgot to check what Niran's viewer does but will later or tomorrow. I also forgot to check if reducing draw distance from 32m to 20m increased FPS which is the whole purpose of the OPs question I imagine!

OK, well LL's debug settings allows one to lower the draw distance below 32m with severe consequences as mentioned above below 20m but, and this is a big but, the FPS does not alter at all between 32m and 20m. So, in effect LL has capped the draw distance at 32m. Niran's viewer allows me reduce draw distance below 32m, same as the LL viewer, with the same consequences below 20m but here's the difference. Niran's viewer added 16 FPS at 20m compared to 32m.

Here are the stats for V3 High (deferred rendering off) and Niran's equivalent (deferred rendering off).:

V3: 128m - 61 fps / 64m - 79 fps / 32m / 112 fps / 20m - 112 fps

Niran's: 128m - 62 fps / 64m - 82 fps / 32m - 124 fps / 20m - 140 fps.

You must have an amazing system, Nyll. I can't even dream of frame rates like that. It's interesting that you continue to see FPS improvement as you decrease draw distance with Niran's, but not with V3. Maybe it's just because Niran's is a pretty stripped-down viewer. V3 carries a lot of extra baggage that may limit how much benefit you can get from a low draw distance.

Not really amazing Rolig. It was a good system two and a half years ago but newer gaming machines should easily surpass it now. It has a quad core overclocked water-cooled Intel i5 750 chip. Calling it an i5 is somewhat of a misnomer. It actually uses the same die as the Intel Lynnfield i7 860 chip but with hyper threading disabled. It is a pure gaming chip although excellentwith Photoshop and other applications too. I pair that with an ATI Radeon HD 5850, kind of old now in graphics card terms and due for an upgrade soon, but combined with the i5 750, it's usually given very good performance, especially with Niran's viewer, which is strange as Niran only uses Nvidia cards.

I just realised that my Niran stats were for his Ultra equivalent not High but I'm not going to bother redoing them. They were all taken at my Linden Home. The v3 stats are strange and you may be right but the FPS remained completely static between 32m and 20m, not even 1 FPS difference even though the system had a lot less to render onscreen.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4097 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.