Selling Modifiable Items - here's another reason

Rya Nitely

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, here is another reason to set items to mod. Conditions change over time and people can go back to old items and take advantage of changes.

Land Impact changes - I've been going over my land looking for standard prim items to change from prim to convex hull to reduce the land impact. I've resurrected my old standard prim Heart plants from my inventory and set them to convex hull, halving the land impact. (Those old flexi plants were always nicer than the 1 prim sculpted ones.)

Maximum prim size is now 60 meters - this means that all those old items made with mega prims can be modified to a size people prefer, bigger or smaller.

I still don't understand why people set items to no mod. If a customer breaks a 'no copy' item then you can replace it if they return the broken one, or if the item is copy then the customer can replace it.

I believe customers want mod items, so I don't get not filling this demand. I see bad reviews on MP all the time because an item was no mod and the customer really wanted to change something. I find you get two types of customers - those who will contact you inworld about a problem and those who will leave a bad review and move on.

Any thoughts?

I agree with you, pretty much completely ;) There is really no reason to not put mod on items, the only one I can think to put no mod on would be scripts, and that is because people can easily copy/paste the script to another and redistribute. Maybe people are trying to hide their building secrets by making it no mod? :D

Totally agree.  In no-mod furnishings my only conclusion is the merchant set that perm so the customer cannot change the texture.  I usually see this when a merchant offers an item in a lot of different colors.  Is there a way to make the furniture itself mod, as in the ability to make it larger or smaller, but not be able to retexture it?  That would solve that situation I think.

Yes, scripts are an exception. The only time I try to leave a script as mod is when it's a basic sit script then the owner can at least have a go at adjusting it.

My other pet hate as a builder is 'no mod' animations. This makes the whole item look as if it's no mod, plus you have to rez the item to rename it etc. But I can live with this one.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Is there a way to make the furniture itself mod, as in the ability to make it larger or smaller, but not be able to retexture it?  That would solve that situation I think.

That's an interesting question. In the permissions settings you have that tick list, and textures is in that list. I've never understood what that would do, if you ticked no mod for textures, like I do for scripts.

But I've seen people do some awful things with my creations. And there it stands, proudly displaying my name as creator. I just cringe and then I laugh :smileyvery-happy:. But I guess some creator would take it very seriously.

Rya Nitely wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Is there a way to make the furniture itself mod, as in the ability to make it larger or smaller, but not be able to retexture it?  That would solve that situation I think.

That's an interesting question. In the permissions settings you have that tick list, and textures is in that list. I've never understood what that would do, if you ticked no mod for textures, like I do for scripts.

But I've seen people do some awful things with my creations. And there it stands, proudly displaying my name as creator. I just cringe and then I laugh :smileyvery-happy:. But I guess some creator would take it very seriously.

Checking no mod for textures only effects textures in the edit contents of a prim. 

Some items require a custom baked texture.  You simply can't change the texture or settings without messing it up. I can see why a creator doesn't want ot be continually bothered by people that break stuff.  However I generally even make these mod and just include a disclaimer in the documentation that you mod at your own risk, that I won't replace something you mod and break as a result .  After all if you try to mod something in RL and break it, the store won't replace it.  Of course most of my stuff is copy too, so its not a problem as they can just rez another.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, Amethyst, setting the texture to no mod does not prevent the customer from retexturing it.

I sell my items mod/copy but there is a particular store I've visited (none of the merchants who post in the forums) in which I really like the style of furnishings.  All the items are sold transfer only.  Knowing what I prefer in permissions when I purchase an item plus input I've gleaned from others, *most* people prefer either mod/copy or mod/trans.  This merchant offers most of the items in a variety of colors so I was assuming that was the reason for no mod, especially if ticking a texture no mod doesn't prevent it from the item being retextured.  I was personally surprised at the transfer only perms.  In addition to the items being no mod or copy, they are also, imo, on the expensive side for the type items they are....BUT....the store is large, I generally see customers there when I visit, I get the impression the merchant is doing well, etc.

I began thinking...am I doing this wrong.

Rya Nitely wrote:

I got a chuckle out of this and I bet some creators would be irritated.  I figure once the customer purchases the item, if I set it as mod....that gives them the permission to do whatever; then again, I generally never see any of my items unless a customer sends a photo.  With outdoor items I can see where you would run into them.

Years ago I sold cosmetics through a well-known "home party" business.  I will never forget what a trainer said at one of the meetings: "Don't try to change the customer.  If they want to still paint on peek-a-boo eyebrows, just make sure they do it with your eyebrow pencil." ;)

(I should have asked at the time what "peek-a-boo eyebrows" were.  I assumed she was referring to the trend in the 40's (?) for women to pluck their eyebrows very thin then pencil over them.)

No it doesn't.  The permission you set for item in the edit contents are separate from the permission you set for the prims themselves and vice versa.  The only exception to this is that if you make the prims no mod.  Then the next owner cannot remove anything you have put in the edit contents. This is how people make things no mod/ no copy/ no transfer which is handy when making a demo.

Note that when an item is in someone's inventory it is going to show the most restrictive permissios that result from a combination of the prims and prims edit contents..  So if the prims are mod/copy, but it contains a no mod item in the edit contents, it will show as no mod/ no transfer in their inventory.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.