What is this script error?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This may not be the forum for this, but a customer says she is getting this script errors from her doors on her mesh house:

script warning error IIsetlocalrot does not work on the objects that contribute to navmesh rootname Americana cottage 1.1

I had no other reports -- anyone have a clue?

Yeah, the problem is, I think. that she has pathfinding turned on on her sim and has set her house to being a static obstacle.   This breaks scripts that move prims in the linkset. 

The fix is either, if possible,  to unlink the door (and any other moving parts of the house) and set it to being a moveable obstacle (using "show in linksets") or, if that's not possible, set the whole house to being a moveable obstacle.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Yeah, the problem is, I think. that she has pathfinding turned on on her sim and has set her house to being a static obstacle.   This breaks scripts that move prims in the linkset. 

The fix is either, if possible,  to unlink the door (and any other moving parts of the house) and set it to being a moveable obstacle (using "show in linksets") or, if that's not possible, set the whole house to being a moveable obstacle.

Thank you Innula.  I don't understand -- how would she set her house to be a static or moveable obstacle?  (This is a customer who did not know how to reset a script.)  I have sold a lot of these houses and this is the first time I have had a report like this.

She -- or somebody, like her landlord -- must have used the viewer Pathfinding Tools  to change the house from being a Movable Obstacle (which it will have defaulted to when she rezzed it) to being a Static Obstacle.    Ideally, houses should be Static Obstacles, with unlinked doors and other moving parts set to being Movable Obstacles, but it's really no big deal to leave the whole thing as a Movable Obstacle, I think, unless she's got pathfinding critters wandering round the place.

It's nothing you've done, so don't worry too much unless you've got a lot of customers who have decided to optimise their regions for pathfinding without really understanding what they're doing.

Assuming the house is modifiable (if it's not, you're going to have to ask Pamela to help), I would 

1. Open the Edit Tool by clicking CTRL 3 
  2. Check Edit linked. (see first picture)
  3. Left Click the door prim (it should highlight in blue, leaving the rest of the house unhighlighted).
  4. When you are sure that only the prim you want to unlink is highlighted, click the Unlink button (see second picture).

if all has gone well, the door will now be highlighted in gold.   It will be a separate object now, so I would rename it "Door" or something and then use the Pathfinding tools (Show In Linkset) to set it to Movable Obstacle.

EDIT 1.jpg

EDIT 2.jpg

If you unlink a door it will break or still work. Depends on script.

Just set the house back to movable obstacle. There was no need to have changed it.
If you want to use the house for pathfinding you need to unlink it anyways and relink the walkable floors and stairs unlink the doors and maybe optimize some details.

Nova Convair wrote:

If you unlink a door it will break or still work. Depends on script.

Just set the house back to movable obstacle. There was no need to have changed it.

If you want to use the house for pathfinding you need to unlink it anyways and relink the walkable floors and stairs unlink the doors and maybe optimize some details.

The door will still work unlinked.  I don't know much about pathfinding or SL animals -- but is this cat one of the kinds of things that even use pathfinding? 

I knew the error had something to do with pathfinding, which I mentioned to the customer, so I asked the customer if she had done anything to the house, and she said no she had done nothing. Is it possible to do whatever she did without even realizing it?

Is it possible to do whatever she did without even realizing it?

Kinda. For that matter, somebody else could do it too, depending on some not immediately obvious permissions.

If you play around with the pathfinding tool for linksets, you may discover that you can change pathfinding attributes for any object that you can move. So if an object is set to allow anybody to move it, then anybody could change the object's pathing attributes (such as setting it "walkable" or whatever).

Also, there are sim console commands that change pathing attributes in bulk, so that's a way that they might change without anybody really intending to affect a specific object.

But Raven1 said she had found it necessary to change the house from Moveable Obstacle so that her cat -- which must, it would seem, use pathfinding -- works inside the house.   So she did need to change it,.

I agree that simply making the whole house walkable probably wasn't the ideal way of doing it, but let's not complicate things more than necessary.   If she unlinks the door and sets it back to Moveable Obstacle she'll have a functioning door and, from what she says, a functioning cat too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.