Object casting shadow on land.

FluorideSting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I currently rent land and use a skybox, but very recently someone on a neighboring parcel has set up their objects, which cast large obscuring shadows on my home.

No, I have not yet talked to this individua, but that is not what I'm going to be asking about.

I've tried blocking his building, but it doesn't appear to cause any changes in it's rendering or shadow casting. I've been searching for a few hours on the net and havent come up with anything so far.

Is there a way to set my land parcel to NOT let objects outside it's boundary be rendered (and thus not cast shadows) for everyone inside my parcel. If possible I'd prefer to have a setting that affects everyone who enters my land.

Or perhaps a workaround? Such as an invisible prim that both blocks shadows and doesn't cast it's own shadow?

I would appreciate any assistance, I'd prefer to leave talking to the other person for last  only if I dont have any more simple options avaiable to me.

Shadows. Are they essential to have on when you're up inside a skybox or are you on a sky platform rather than in a skybox?  I'd like to see the extent of this problem, can you add a photo or screenshot to this thread.

If it was me I would have my skybox set at a different height to the neighbouring ones. I mean, 4096m of sky, theres a lot of skyspace to choose from, no need for anyone to be casting shadows or aspersions on anyone else.

The solution is simple, move your skybox up or down a bit to get out of the shadow if you object to that.  There is thousands of meters of air space out there.  Other than that or just turning off light and shadows in your graphics there is nothing else you can do about it.

As far as your neighbor, would you approach a neighbor in RL and tell them that their house is throwing a shadow on yours?  Of course not, so why do you think you should do that here?  It strikes me as somewhat absurd and petty. It would more than likely be the cause of a poor relationship with your neighbor if you bring it up to them.

I do think if your skybox was there first that when your neighbor erected their structure out of courtesy they probably should have used a different elevation.  But a lot of people don't think that way so its better to just move your own skybox than cause a ruckus.

FluorideSting wrote:

Is there a way to set my land parcel to NOT let objects outside it's boundary be rendered (and thus not cast shadows) for everyone inside my parcel. If possible I'd prefer to have a setting that affects everyone who enters my land.

permanent derender is not a function of the official viewer. not in the same permanent? way that some TPVs do it.  the official viewer only do temporary occluding of selected objects. when not selected then is not occluded. is a building aid this

derender is a TPV mod of this temporary occluding function

for a permanent derendered object to not cast a shadow then the derender code would have to be modded further

am not sure that any of the TPVs have been modded to do this yet

add:

scribble all that out bc i dont know what am talking about (: 

Derender worked perfectly! Thank you so much Valerie!

Yes, I am quite well aware that I could easily move my skybox, anybody who has had to do it before would know it's a pain that is preferabily avoided. I am also aware that I can turn off shadows, but I don't want to and shouldn't have to.

Those of you who would compare SL to reality in such a way, my god, why did you even bother posting if your not going to have anything revelant to say? Comparing apples to virtual apples doesn't work no matter how you try to slice it . . .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.