A folder in my inventory vanished.

falcon9

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have tried the Cache-clearing, both manual and with the SL Viewer, but neither works. Please help me!

In regards to Knowl Paine's advice, I will be more specific.

This folder was in the My Inventory/ directory, and I have checked all folders that it may have been placed in, including My Library folders. It does say fetching when I open my inventory, but stops at around 2800. I wait until it stops, but the folder is still missing. I have tried several regions that are both low lag and unpopulated, but it did not seem to help.

In regards to Darren Scorpio's question, I created said folder, and it was entitled "Modern".

In regards to KarenMichelle Lane's questions, I didn't pay attention to the number of objects until some went missing. The folder disappeared within 24 hours of when I created it - I'm sorry, but I cannot recall anything more specific. When I noticed that the folder and it contents were missing, I was using an unusually slow connection, but aside from the lag and such, everything else was in order.

5 answers to this question

OK, you have tried all the normal methods to get a errant folder and contents to show up.

I'm sure you have tried searching for it as well as any contents using the inventory search function. [in case it got moved accidentally]

Q: What is/was your normal inventory item count? You mention it stops ay 2800 or so.

Q: How soon after you created the folder did it disappear?

Q: What was happening with your session when you noticed the folder and contents were missing?

Updated - To be sure, Chic's story of servers compromised is unfortunate and a telling tale. Our virtual goods are not always safe from some back-of-house communications/transaction problems. .

Now I am guessing you won't like my answer (smile) but did your missing folder happen any time around the really really REALLY bad day last week?  Looking back at my blog it was January 8th. Much wasn't working and the database was in dire straights. I was very much in a panic as I had about 3,000 less inventory than I should have had.

Eventually around 5 pm SL time I got back in and most of my inventory reappeared. I may have lost some things but my inventory is large and I won't really know until I find them missing.

Some folks will tell you that we never lose inventory. That is NOT true. I have had major inventory loss (thousands of items including my whole "home and garden" folder once). I know others that have lost over 10,000 items that never returned. Most often these occurrences coincide with one of those really really really bad days in SL like January 8th.

So if you have done everything you can, your folder and the items in it, may indeed be gone. On the upside I have had "some" things returned over time in these cases.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Chic Aeon describes a situation in which the LL inventory servers can lose your stuff for you.  Rare, but possible.

If this is what has happened, there's nothing further you can do yourself to recover the lost items.  However, LL can (sometimes) manage to do so.  You will need to file a support case.  Tell them everything that you have done so far.

For this to work you also have to be a Premium member, because LL does not handle this type of technical support request for Basic members.  You must decide if your missing items are worth the $9.95 for a one month Premium membership.

Before you do that, though, you might try a clean reinstall of your viewer, which goes one step beyond just clearing the cache.  Here's a page with instructions on how to do that.  http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_clean_reinstall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.