Help with several questions, new to SL!

Azurean

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I agree with 'rent and explore first' but then again some people want a home from the start.

So to answer that question: It probably would suit your needs better not to have a Linden home. Then you will have the ability to rez a home of your choice. If that part doesn't matter to you (sounds like you have a house you like, which is why I said it) then take the others' advice and make the land set to not allow people on the land to be visible to outsiders. Also checkmark where it says 'keep sounds in this parcel' or whatever.

You can get a freebie 'sex bed' at most freebie places. Since that seemed your other major concern, I'd try that out before spending a lot on something. 

The one benefit of your Linden home will be that the home doesn't coint in prims. But you can get around that by renting from an estate owner that gives you more prims than normal. If you rent, it doesn't count against your premium free tier 512 parcel, either. Only if you own a parcel.

So you could even do both if you want. You could rent a sex haven skybox somewhere for your SLex bed and you could have a home of your own to make your refuge.

Perrie Juran wrote:

16 wrote:

just about the residential. well the opposite really

some one else made a suggestion on time that an alternative to a Linden Home could be a Linden Shop. put them along the roadways and space then out a bit so that they not all just in one sim/place like at Luna

Could do like we still see in places.  The store owner living (having their apartment) above the store.

i seen some of them at places like Bay City and other built-up areas, that people have made that way

if linden did do Linden Shops along the roads then be quite interesting what it would do to the price of parcels next/close to them. they probably go up a bit more than they are now

Perrie Juran wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

If they can acquire whole sims and zone them as residential, it would be good. Especially if they layed them out like the Linden Home sims.

I wouldn't want that much rigidity.   

Me either.  The Linden Home areas, at least the modernistic looking ones and the Japanese home areas, remind me of Stepford Wife neighborhoods.  Too much sameness.

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

Phil Deakins disturbed some electrons to proclaim: "If they can acquire whole sims and zone them as residential, it would be good.
Especially if they layed them out like the Linden Home sims.
"

(Emphasis mine)

Seriously? Rabbit hutch central:

Rabbit hutch central indeed:

Yes really. Remember, we are talking about putting Linden Homes on mainland. We are not talking about using mainland to make Linden Homes with lots of space around each one. If LL upped the tier-free size to 1024m, then the Linden Homes could be laid out with more space, of course, but, as it is now, it's 512m, so such homes have to be close together (they already use more than the 512m).

Sure, massive free areas between Linden homes are not practicable, however, this can be made in a nicer way,
so it doesn't look like a ghetto. This of course requires a bit more work than simply copying a standard layout
over and over again. The Elderglen und Tahoe-style areas look less cramped than Meadowbrook (which I had pictured),
so it is doable without being too generous with real estate.

I haven't seen any Linden Home type that doesn't look cramped. Also, I haven't seen any layout that looks like a ghetto. The one you posted the screenshot of looks like a very nice RL neighourhood with communal areas. And remember that nobody has to have one of them. They can use their 512 tier and buy land wherever they like.

Imo, LL did a very good job with Linden Homes. Given that they were based on the 512 tier-free allowance, they made some nice homes and placed them in such a way that the homes themselves didn't count towards the 512's prims. When you are limited by that constraint, you can't give each home a lot of space around it. What could happen is that LL ups the tier-free allowance to 1024m or more, and then Linden Homes could be layed out more spaciously, but that hasn't happened and so they has to be based on 512m.

LL's objective in Linden Homes was to offer something extra to encourage people to buy premium accounts and, at the same time, not be so good that people didn't want to move on. It would be really bad for the private market if Linden Homes were so good that people wanted to stay in them for a long time. They said that the homes weren't intended to be long-term homes for people, and that they expected people to get the feel of having a home and then move on to something better. I think they did a good job of it all. If they made the homes too nice, say with hills and valleys and streams and trees and space around each of them, people wouldn't feel any inclination to move on to the private market because they wouldn't be able to find anything that could compete unless they paid a lot more for it.

So I'll repeat roughly what I said earlier. Using mainland for Linden Homes would only be any good if LL did it with whole sims and layed them out something like the existing Linden Homes, and with the same rules.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.