Exporting only one layer

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Old avatar; new to mesh. Still in kindergarten but doing well.

So my question is -- is there a button or key combo that sets layers so that only one (more than one if you could choose would be fine too) on export? I can do a work around but I am thinking there simply must be a better way.

So if you have a dog on layer one and a cat on layer two and a tree on layer three and you only want to export the tree, is there a way? If I go with a typical export I get all three items.

Thanks for any suggestions. Google and the tutorials are not helping me here :D.

Oh, and somewhere along the way I "locked" an item on layer one and can no longer move or edit it. Sure I hit something incorrectly but would be great to know just what that was *wink*.

SIX OR SO HOURS LATER. TY!!!!

It IS Blender and the export layer works GREAT. I saw that there and so figured there WAS a way but even though I tried, it wasn't working. May have been just too bleary but I would give EXTRA kudos points if I could. TY Aquila!!!!  And of course I knew I could delete them and save a new file, but there really had to be a better way.

FYI it is a BIT different in Blender 2.64. Putting in a screenshot.

exportonlayer.jpg

And while I never figured out why things were locked, they are back OK today when I reopened that file so I can continue on.

EXTRA GOLD STARS for the extremely cute tutorial graphics. They made me smile and after six hours on blender, I needed one :D.

• Like 1

Like Chic, I'm learning too. The only way I can figure to do that in Blender is to copy my blend file and delete the parts I don't want to upload.  It gets a little awkward if you are creating separate mesh objects that are supposed to fit together in world.  If you have to go back and tweak the models, you have to keep going back to the original file, making changes, and then copying and splitting the file again.  I haven't discovered a better work flow yet, but I haven't had much practice either.

EDIT:  Ooo! Aquila, thank you.  I didn't know what that meant. 

............and a good thing in the latest version of Blender (2.64) is that box stays checked for each seperate object while the file is open , which means if you are uploading seperate parts of a larger mesh or different LODS and Physics one at a time you don't have to keep remembering to check that box :)

Downside ( untill i work out what all the options are ) is the 2.64 Collada panel  has a lot more options lol

• Like 2

hi

Chic Aeon wrote:

It IS Blender and the export layer works GREAT.

Just to clarify its not the whole Layer that you are selecting to export in the Collada panel, its only the Object that you have highlighted. So u could have many Objects on a particular layer but only the 1 or two you select  ( or 1 from layer 4 and a second from layer 7 etc ) that will be exported .

I do love extra gold stars on top of my kudos   lol ,   thankyou
:)

• Like 1

Thanks. Imagine I would have figured that out when I uploaded on aditi (the one VERY good thing LL has done for designers!). Currently I am working with one object per layer and that seems to be OK for now. Still new so not sure the best workflow for me in Blender. SURE I am working harder than I need to (well "maybe" not *wink*) but getting there and working out issues through logic which often is more memorable.

I do have a method to my layering and an end result for what I want. It's just getting there :D.  Thanks again for your help. MUCH appreciated.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.