Are chat extenders for local chat against the TOS?

Christine Grigorovich

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

From the "Community Standards" (different from the ToS, but every bit as enforceable as the ToS):

-----------------------------------------------------

Disclosure

Residents are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about your fellow Residents without their consent -- including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, alternate account names, and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their Resident profile -- is not allowed.  Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited.

http://secondlife.com/corporate/cs.php

-------------------------------------------------------

It appears it is something you should avoid.........but I suppose you could argue that you were only using your "chat extender" to talk to friends at a distance.  I wouldn't bank on that as a good defense since IM's are fully capable of that.

• Like 1

Yes they are illegal and against ToS as they extend the chat without people consent to it. Just imagine if someone that you don't like arrive in a place with such a device, you tell your friend "that ***** xxx arrived now" ... then that person will hear what you say even if you didn't mean for them to hear it... thus the chat extender has voided your privacy pr the ToS section Peggy posted above.

I also asked Linden Lab about this a few months ago because i was thinking about using such devices myself. They where pretty clear about it, that ARE in bridge of the ToS even if all arriving persons are being notified through chat or pop-up msg that they are in use. Of course i have chosen not to use them rather than being AR'ed and banned by LL

EDIT: Ohh dang, i just noticed that this was a old post form 2012 :D Still as it's a topic today also i'll leave my post here

Edited by Linnrenate Crosby
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.