Why did I have to fix this?

solstyse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Last time I logged into Sl on Firestorm, i got a notification that TextureDiscardLevel was set to 3 and should be set to 0. I thought it was a one time thing, so I just left it alone. Today when i logged on, I got the same message, so i went into debug settings and changed the value to 0. The result was an immediate and very noticable improvement in performance. Camera and movement controls are better than they have been for a solid month before I got the popup for the first time! Memory usage is down, and cpu usage spends less time spiked at 100% (I know, the first answer is buy a better computer, but that's not my concern for now.)

So, this made me curious about a couple of things. What is TextureDiscardLevel to begin with? Why did changing one value help me so much? And since it clearly was wrong for a while, why did it take Firestorm so long to prompt me to fix it? Most importantly, if this was such a help, and camera debug settings were such a help when I messed with those, what else can i do in debug to optimize my viewer?

TextureDiscardLevel is exposed in graphics prefs in the Texture Details Loaded dropbox, which should always be set to Normal. Older viewers had no warning if you changed that, new ones do.

As a general rule, don't play in debug unless you know what the setting you are changing is actually for & the consequences of altering it. Also take with a pinch of salt any 'favourite debugs' you hear from people. They are often based on misconceptions.

There is good reason some settings are hidden in debug, away from casual users.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.