Strange bots in Linden Home sim

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4304 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Over the past week I've been puzzled by an object of some description flying through my home at a height of about 2 metres and travelling so fast it's passed through in about 1/10 of a second. Blink and you would miss it. I know it's not an avatar as it doesn't appear on radar and the object must be non-physical as it goes through the walls. It's impossible to get an accurate description due to its speed but seems quite small.

I've lived there for two and a half years and it just started a week ago and has occurred four times while I or my partner was in the home so presumably at other times too. Both I and my partner have seen it same time so it's not some glitch with our graphics.

Anyone have any ideas? Is Linden Lab using some new bots to gather information? Object entry is set to Group only so I've no idea how another resident could do this. Seems to be on the same path through the home each time so perhaps some pathfinding test. (reminds myself to take note of times)

Both I and my partner have seen it same time

If that's not necessarily simultaneously, but during the same minute or so, then it could be a known problem with the server sending pathfinding updates to viewers. If you stand a ways away from a pathfinding object that's moving back and forth and look away from it, eventually it will appear to swoop past you toward the horizon--but people at slightly different locations and/or with slightly different viewing angles w.r.t. the pathfinding object will see somewhat different motion at not exactly the same time.

If it's not that, then it might be something rooted on Linden land... or maybe not. I can't remember if Maintenance parcels on Linden Home sims allow object entry or not.

Keep an eye on the server stats in the Shift+Ctrl+1 display and see if there are any lag spikes, that is drops in the server's "Sim FPS" and "Physics FPS", those are unfortunately common in dense areas like Linden Homes.

What you see may be simple rubber banding from some object moving fast on a nearby parcel. In that case, even with a small spike, the object wouldn't really cross into your properly but the viewer's interpolation would make it look that way.

There is a workaround for this, but the "cure" may be worse than the disease. You can switch off Develop > Network > Velocity interpolate objects (under Advanced in old viewers), and rubberbanding won't happen. Unfortunately, that also stops rotating objects (the llTargetOmega kind) from working, and it makes motion for avatars and physical objects look stuttery.

Nyll, the explanations given so far sound far more plausible than what I'll offer, but as the author of one myself, I know it's possible that a particle emitter could do something like what you describe. Years ago I fashioned a "shooting star" emitter that would fire a "meteor" particle across the horizon once a minute or so. I'd forgotten I had this in place when constructing a skybox at the same altitude and was momentarily bewildered by spritelike objects flying through the walls.

It took a while to remember, but -- a while back I had one of those Meadowbrook houses. In those regions, there are scripted physical Linden birds scattered around. They are supposed to coast from a tree to the ground, but occasionally they would look like they zoomed through the house when the region was tired.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

It took a while to remember, but -- a while back I had one of those Meadowbrook houses. In those regions, there are scripted physical Linden birds scattered around. They are supposed to coast from a tree to the ground, but occasionally they would look like they zoomed through the house when the region was tired.

Well, the puzzle is finally solved. Missy was editing an item in the home when the object whizzed through and got caught in the editing box so she was able to examine it. Turns out not to be a bird but a wayward leaf from one of the many trees around the home which drop leaves all the time. Normally these just flutter slowly down to the ground outside and occasionally thrugh the home but seems this particular leaf wants a faster lifestyle!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4304 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.